Question: Work Sharp 3000 sharpener

DiamondCactus

how does this look for a lot cheaper sharpener. My father in-law uses it for his wood carving tools, how ever they just came out with some diamond wheels. I figured for someone like me with out a lot a money to by the more commonly know brands this might work out well.

http://www.worksharptools.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=127

the diamond wheel kits,

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080471/29174/DMT-DiaSharp-MagnaDisc-System-Honing-Kit.aspx

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080471/29175/DMT-DiaSharp-MagnaDisc-System-Sharpening-Kit-.aspx

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
Look up Grainger on the internet....They have a seven inch wet sharpener that might work (with a little modification) for $115.00

Roger

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There are several engravers who use diamond disks in a drilpress using a bolt for an arbor. I think a search using drillpress and sharpener will get you results. Fred

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A diamond disk plus an arbor for your drill press will run you about $20 for the arbor and whatever the disk runs - probably around $100 for the pair. That will let you get precise angles when roughing in your gravers. I like power for shaping but when it gets to sharpening I find it goes just as well by hand.

With the Worksharp you'll have to work out how to get your gravers roughed in and I'm not certain you can get it to be precise enough for real sharpening.

For sharpening a knife or such the difference between 22 degrees and 24 degrees really doesn't matter, but on gravers it can be significant.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
for quite some time, lynton mckenzie used a common stone and a bolt to get his angles. his work
remains some of the best seen a few years back. also grizzly tools sells a wet sharpener for under a hundred bucks. i own a tormek, but have never tried to sharpen the tiny tools we all use. i would expect great headache trying to adapt the wet ones for gravers. and--- you're stuck with a single stone of only 1 basic grit size.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A contrary opinion and why it is a good choice for you:
1. It's a dedicated sharpener that can be used for other purposes.
2. It has a decent rpm, as opposed to the 2000 model which is cheaper but faster.
3. The platen can be replaced and is compatible with available diamond wheels cheaper than what they are asking.
4. The platen can also be adapted easily to a qwik change instead of having to unscrew them.
5. A table with the required 1/2" clearance for standard sharpening templates is easily made.
6. Lastly, they can be acquired for substantially less than what Woodcraft is asking for them. Check both Grizzly and Enco.

If you like that unit, then you should buy it and it will probably serve you for many years and if you don't get heavy into engraving, it's still useful for other purposes.