+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a Gravermax, and I love it. The only temptation, for me, is that I do a number of "shows" out of the shop each year. Currently I don't do any exhibition or personalizing (names etc) engraving at the shows, and am not really tempted to. I hate working with an audience. If, however, your intention is to engrave publically, the Lindsay system, working on bottled air, is much more portable. No compressor needed. The palm control is available with both, so it is portability that seems the biggest difference. Along the same line, my compressor is kind of noisy, so it is in a closet at work, and has a sound barrier to insulate some of the sound. It is reasonably inexpensive, while a 'silent' compressor adds significant cost to the package.

Post Thanks / Like

in my case i use a Lindsay PC and i'll never change it for nothing, the two tools are great tools, the choice depend in how do you work and what do you feel better in your hand, i have try the three tool before buying i own a Ngraver magnagraver II too, but finally i have choise lindsay for this reason:
    -only i need the hand tool and the foot control if you have the pc don't need the last one you save a lot of space in your bench
    -aigraver need a very little air pressure to work i use a aerograph compressor,that are quiet and not expensive
    - you can regulate the tool directly from the hand piece for me is more easy and fast
    - is completly made in steel when you have a airgraver in your hand you think" heare is very difficult that can i broke some part"
    -the customer service, Steve is not a great corporation but yes a great Man and professional, his customer service for me is superior
    -the design, i love it .... yes the eye want his part too XD
    -the cost , at the end for me buy a lindsay in europe is more cheaper than a grs system
    -the portable , you can use it without electricity too if you need.

this is my opinion for shure, all the way the best choice that you can make is try the two before and see wich one work best for you
    regards

3. Likes Raida&Blossfeld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im in tooele, could I come try your gravermach at?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4w_engraver View Post
    Im in tooele, could I come try your gravermach at?

This thread is from 2012.

Join me on Facebook

Sam on Instagram

:::: Leave more than you take ::::

Post Thanks / Like

Ok ........ anybody that knows me knows that I buy everything and then finds out what I like best. I have a Gravermach AT with a bunch of handpieces I also have the Lindsay Classic palm control and the foot pedal control as well as a nitro setup.

I have very limited usage on all of them. That said, I prefer the GRS system because you can set the pressure and strokes per second which I think gives you finer control. I know others with much more experience will probably disagree. The Lindsay requires you to depend on you hand pressure. To me, it’s like comparing playing the piano to playing a violin. You have specific keys on a piano that you must hit to get a specific note. A violin requires you to estimate where you have to press to get a specific note.

It is really personal preference. I like the GRS the best for me both are quality products.

However, the Lindsay palm control with a bottle setup is better if you do engraving at remote locations or shows because it does not require electricity or a compressor. That said ....... most of your engraving will probably be at home or in your shop.

Also, GRS has far superior customer service. At GRS, I have my own sales representative and I talk to people every time I called. They also send stuff out immediately and don’t charge me for using credit card or PayPal. They will also sell me specific pieces that I need if I don’t need a full setup. They can’t be more helpful. Also, they have outstanding training at their facilities.

I seldom talk to someone at Lindsay’s when I call. I’ve had to make multiple calls more than once to get someone to call back. They prefer that you email. They won’t sell some pieces separately. I needed just the connector piece that goes between the 2 regulators for a foot pedal set up. Steve would not sell it to me and was going to charge me $75 more for the total regulator setup than was listed on the website. He said the price on the website was if you bought it with a handpiece. I ended up building the same thing for around $100. Steve Lindsay has excellent equipment but he has very limited staff and has not been as flexible as other places for me. This in not a nock....... it’s just my experience. Again, others will disagree.

It’s really according to your purpose and preference as to what you like the best.
    Last edited by Memorymaker; 01-09-2018 at 11:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Iím not to professional but living overseas outside the U.S. has enabled me to better understand the differences between the GRS system and the Lindsay.

The Lindsay system is a completely pneumatic system, you just need to hook it up to a compressor and get going. This machine is going to last, it generally does not contain any parts that can get spolit, where as the GRS is a pneumatic plus an electrical system, this combination is quite complex and requires mantainence.

We had a GRS Graver Max G-8, within about 4-5 years the system packed off, couldnít send that box all the way across to the U.S.

I spent many hours with the numerous tubbing inside the systems checking for any leaks and other causes why the systems was not working it was just so frustrating and fruitless.

Guess overtime the something goes wrong with the internal circuit board. The system is a way to complex , there are a way many joints in the tubbing.

Moreover, the Lindsay system does not have any box and uses much lesser air compared to the GRS system, it a simple solid system that going to last, with out breaking your back.

One last note, while engraving the vibration which one can feel when holding the handpiece is much lesser compared to the GRS system.

The Lindsay system does not have any springs, there is a solid piston inside the hand piece. You donít need to tune the Lindsay hand piece, just connect the air supply and your ready.

Hope this helps.

Happy engraving!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Memorymaker View Post
    Ok ........ anybody that knows me knows that I buy everything and then finds out what I like best. I have a Gravermach AT with a bunch of handpieces I also have the Lindsay Classic palm control and the foot pedal control as well as a nitro setup.

I have very limited usage on all of them. That said, I prefer the GRS system because you can set the pressure and strokes per second which I think gives you finer control. I know others with much more experience will probably disagree. The Lindsay requires you to depend on you hand pressure. To me, it’s like comparing playing the piano to playing a violin. You have specific keys on a piano that you must hit to get a specific note. A violin requires you to estimate where you have to press to get a specific note.

It is really personal preference. I like the GRS the best for me both are quality products.

However, the Lindsay palm control with a bottle setup is better if you do engraving at remote locations or shows because it does not require electricity or a compressor. That said ....... most of your engraving will probably be at home or in your shop.

Also, GRS has far superior customer service. At GRS, I have my own sales representative and I talk to people every time I called. They also send stuff out immediately and don’t charge me for using credit card or PayPal. They will also sell me specific pieces that I need if I don’t need a full setup. They can’t be more helpful. Also, they have outstanding training at their facilities.

I seldom talk to someone at Lindsay’s when I call. I’ve had to make multiple calls more than once to get someone to call back. They prefer that you email. They won’t sell some pieces separately. I needed just the connector piece that goes between the 2 regulators for a foot pedal set up. Steve would not sell it to me and was going to charge me $75 more for the total regulator setup than was listed on the website. He said the price on the website was if you bought it with a handpiece. I ended up building the same thing for around $100. Steve Lindsay has excellent equipment but he has very limited staff and has not been as flexible as other places for me. This in not a nock....... it’s just my experience. Again, others will disagree.

It’s really according to your purpose and preference as to what you like the best.

Sorry I disagree

You can adjust the Lindsay for finer control,by adjusting the air holes, additional with the Lindsay system there is no tuning.

One more thing on the customer service, GRS needs it because of the super complex internal system inside that box.
    Last edited by Domitilla; Today at 02:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Many people have used GRS systems for years with very little or no trouble. They are proven, very robust systems that are built to withstand the torture in jewelry factories around the world where tens of thousands of them are used on a daily basis. I don't think any other engraving equipment manufacturer comes remotely close to that.

You cannot make the statement "The system is way too complex". Maybe for you it is, but for thousands of people it's not.

I can understand your frustration with the cost and hassle of sending a unit back to the US for service, but GRS has many dealers worldwide who are qualified to service their machines. And quite frankly, they are rather simple to work on if you are mechanically inclined.

I have heard complaints about Canon, Nikon, Leica, Ford, Chevy, Lindsay, GRS, dogs, cats, turtles and lizards. Each owner has his/her favorite and can be very passionate about it. Each user can have his/her complaints as well. As is often the case, you don't hear about thousands of great experiences. You only hear the complaints.

At the end of the day you use what works best for you and gives you that warm, fuzzy feeling.

Join me on Facebook

Sam on Instagram

10. Likes bronc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Domitilla View Post

One more thing on the customer service, GRS needs it because of the super complex internal system inside that box.
    Super complex? Do you drive a car or ride a bicycle?

Join me on Facebook

Sam on Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    Many people have used GRS systems for years with very little or no trouble. They are proven, very robust systems that are built to withstand the torture in jewelry factories around the world where tens of thousands of them are used on a daily basis. I don't think any other engraving equipment manufacturer comes remotely close to that.

You cannot make the statement "The system is way too complex". Maybe for you it is, but for thousands of people it's not.

I can understand your frustration with the cost and hassle of sending a unit back to the US for service, but GRS has many dealers worldwide who are qualified to service their machines. And quite frankly, they are rather simple to work on if you are mechanically inclined.

I have heard complaints about Canon, Nikon, Leica, Ford, Chevy, Lindsay, GRS, dogs, cats, turtles and lizards. Each owner has his/her favorite and can be very passionate about it. Each user can have his/her complaints as well. As is often the case, you don't hear about thousands of great experiences. You only hear the complaints.

At the end of the day you use what works best for you and gives you that warm, fuzzy feeling.

The GRS isn’t a dog or a cat, that box does cost...their dealer situated over here couldn’t solve the problem!

This system does have some issue........each to his own.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast