Stainless bracelets

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi all,
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I looked back and couldn't find it. Does anyone know where i can purchase pre cut stainless bracelets that are more or less ready to cut? I'm just at the practice stage and I don't need to screw up any nice silver yet.

Thanks

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Copper will cut with almost the same feel as silver. You can order it sheared into a number of pieces: 5.7 in, by say, .9 in, which is a good bracelet practice size. Go for 16 gauge thickness.

If you have access to a small wood band saw, this will cut copper/silver/brass easily. Another approach, super glue or epoxy a sheet of copper onto a piece of 3/4 in fiber board or wood. Band saw the combined coppper/wood up into the above sized strips and each piece is ready to hold in the ball vise?

Rod

david bain

Elite Cafe Member
rod is correct.If you are going to cut silver practice on metal with the same feel.SS is lots harder than silver

plain_ole_dan

I don't have a picture but I used my hands to get the initial shape of cuff then used a piece of pipe, some masking tape over the cuff to protect it and a rawhide mallet to get the right curve to the ends.
It is a lot harder to cut than sterling or even regular steel. I am using a Magnagraver with a Dumore flexhaft that's older than me. Maybe working at a slow impact rate helped me. Keeping the tip of graver lubed is important. I used tapping fluid which seemed to work.
It was 18ga.
I'm not sure what their minimum would be. When I stopped by, I just got a dozen. They cut them the same day. I still have 6 left after buggering up the rest plus one that was good enough for a last minute gift for my daughter. If I can get the courage up, I will post pic.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

You can buy a 410 stainless stainless steel project plate part #024-030 from GRS. It measures 203 X 63 x2mm. They also sell copper pre shaped bracelets as well.

It's very nice to cut and I've used it on a few bits and peices myself.

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
save your cash, for now. go to your local junkyard with a magnet. find something that's of a workable size. if the magnet sticks, the stuff will likely engrave ok. then when you're comfy with cutting this, buy the real deal. happy motoring

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Monk, our local junkyards dont really allow wandering about with a magnet to find a piece of "fake stainless".most of the metal is from wrecked cars. I worked in the jet ignitor industry for a while and stainless i worked with dont go to a magnet.think I'll check out GRS & cut from a sheet.

monk

Staff member
that's a bummer. my local yard allows total access to whatever is there. a month ago i got a piece of very clean copper-- .062" x 16 x 16". a steal of a deal for $14.00. i've made quite a few buckle blanks from this. with luck, the investment will increase quite a bit.
btw, that stuff isn't fake stainless. it just has enough iron content to attract a magnet, and not as much chrome, and the other alloyed materials.
sadly, things have "tightened" a bit there; about 3 weeks ago a friend there operating a cutting torch, was killed by a falling piece of steel. "osha" showed up and made a horses' rearend of themselves. the guys there want me to make a memorial stone for him. will post a foto when it's finished.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors