+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stainless bracelets

Hi all,
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but I looked back and couldn't find it. Does anyone know where i can purchase pre cut stainless bracelets that are more or less ready to cut? I'm just at the practice stage and I don't need to screw up any nice silver yet.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Copper will cut with almost the same feel as silver. You can order it sheared into a number of pieces: 5.7 in, by say, .9 in, which is a good bracelet practice size. Go for 16 gauge thickness.

If you have access to a small wood band saw, this will cut copper/silver/brass easily. Another approach, super glue or epoxy a sheet of copper onto a piece of 3/4 in fiber board or wood. Band saw the combined coppper/wood up into the above sized strips and each piece is ready to hold in the ball vise?

Rod

Post Thanks / Like

http://jschmidtstainless.com/
    I just got some 304 stainless cut for bracelets. 1"x6" with one side mirror polished came to $2 each. Not sure what shipping would be, as they are right up the road from me.

Post Thanks / Like

Does that stainless bend fine? What about steel pipe?

Post Thanks / Like

rod is correct.If you are going to cut silver practice on metal with the same feel.SS is lots harder than silver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plain_ole_dan View Post
    http://jschmidtstainless.com/
    I just got some 304 stainless cut for bracelets. 1"x6" with one side mirror polished came to $2 each. Not sure what shipping would be, as they are right up the road from me.
    what gauge are they, seems to me 304 will be a tough cut. If I order what do I tell them I want and how small a quantity can I purchase.
    thanks,
    "there is a limit to everything."

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a picture but I used my hands to get the initial shape of cuff then used a piece of pipe, some masking tape over the cuff to protect it and a rawhide mallet to get the right curve to the ends.
    It is a lot harder to cut than sterling or even regular steel. I am using a Magnagraver with a Dumore flexhaft that's older than me. Maybe working at a slow impact rate helped me. Keeping the tip of graver lubed is important. I used tapping fluid which seemed to work.
    It was 18ga.
    I'm not sure what their minimum would be. When I stopped by, I just got a dozen. They cut them the same day. I still have 6 left after buggering up the rest plus one that was good enough for a last minute gift for my daughter. If I can get the courage up, I will post pic.
    Last edited by plain_ole_dan; 12-20-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy a 410 stainless stainless steel project plate part #024-030 from GRS. It measures 203 X 63 x2mm. They also sell copper pre shaped bracelets as well.

It's very nice to cut and I've used it on a few bits and peices myself.

Cheers
    Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

save your cash, for now. go to your local junkyard with a magnet. find something that's of a workable size. if the magnet sticks, the stuff will likely engrave ok. then when you're comfy with cutting this, buy the real deal. happy motoring

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Monk, our local junkyards dont really allow wandering about with a magnet to find a piece of "fake stainless".most of the metal is from wrecked cars. I worked in the jet ignitor industry for a while and stainless i worked with dont go to a magnet.think I'll check out GRS & cut from a sheet.
    "there is a limit to everything."