Matau (Fish Hook)

Andrew Biggs

Here are a couple of recent projects from the bench. The pen is a generic design and was a difficult job to design and execute but worthwhile and satisfying.

And of course the knife has a bit of a story that goes with it :)

Matau (Fish Hook)
Maui, the Demi-God visited his grandmother, Muri Ranga Whenua, who had the reputation of being a powerful witch. With much persuasion Maui convinced her to give him her jawbone because it was full of magic. With this jawbone Maui carried out many mighty deeds. One of the most famous exploits of Maui was to fashion his grand mothers jaw bone into a fish hook and then hiding in the bottom of his brothers fishing waka (boat) he accompanied them far out to sea. Maui was finally discovered by his brothers but by then it was too late to turn back so he dropped his magic fish hook over the side of the boat and caught the biggest fish the world has ever seen. It was Te Ika a Maui which means the fish of Maui and can still be seen to this day because it is the North Island of New Zealand.

The magic hook used to catch the fish and made of the jawbone of Muri Ranga Whenua was forever known as Te Matau a Maui (The Fish Hook Of Maui). Today many artists make the stylized hook from bone or pounamu (greenstone/jade) and is often fashioned into a neck pendant that symbolizes provision and prosperity.

The design features the face of Muri Ranga Whenua and Te Matau a Maui (The Fish Hook Of Maui). Around the edge of the fish hook are the faces of Manaia which gives the hook extra luck and the large mask at the top of the hook is the Demi God Maui.

Cheers
Andrew

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew my friend, you are amazing. :tiphat: The engraving is awsome. The story is wonderful. :clapping:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I want that pen, too! Wow :shock: what a beautiful and luxurious set! :clapping::thumbsup:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
phooey ! i'll take the knife and the pen. andrew-- how'd you learn all these great ethnic stories ?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Andrew,Beautifully engraved knife and pen,but being a collector of pens and ink wells the pen would be my choise. J.J.

mrthe

Wow great work! engraving a pen like this seem be very difficult,congratulations Andrew!

qndrgnsdd

Elite Cafe Member
Well at the risk of breaking up the chorus, Keep the pen send me the knife and I will send you my well used eye teeth! That is a piece of fine work!

monk

Staff member
all seriousness aside-- i'm rather curious-- in what manner did you anchor or clamp the nib to engrave it ?? i would think the heat from thermo loc would discolor the tip.

Sponsors