New Scrimshaw

Darrel Morris

Hello everyone, I'm sorry I've been away, but I finally have something new to show. It's a small reverse scrimshaw on buffalo horn 4 3/4" tall including the purpleheart base.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Andrew,The horn is black and when scratched on the white pops through,just like a scratch board art.I saw a lady working on a buffalo horn at the Blade Show.J.J.Well done Darrel.

Last edited:

Darrel Morris

Andrew: I call it reverse because the horn is black and the scrimshaw is inked in white rather than black on white ivory. You also have to think in reverse with this technique. You render the highlights instead of the shadows.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I believe the art term for that is chiaroscuro. I had a drawing class in college and that was the technique they taught. We would black out the whole sheet with charcoal and draw with a kneaded rubber eraser, lifting up the highlights.
Very dynamic piece Darrel. I've never done scrimshaw but I think it would be difficult to get those large areas of white smooth if it's done by scratching in lines with a pinpoint.
I don't know of any white ink, what do you use, white paint? I would think it has to be permanent and waterproof.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I believe the art term for that is chiaroscuro. I had a drawing class in college and that was the technique they taught. We would black out the whole sheet with charcoal and draw with a kneaded rubber eraser, lifting up the highlights.
Very dynamic piece Darrel. I've never done scrimshaw but I think it would be difficult to get those large areas of white smooth if it's done by scratching in lines with a pinpoint.
I don't know of any white ink, what do you use, white paint? I would think it has to be permanent and waterproof.

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is truly wonderful work! Terrific job! I also enjoy the part where the subject matter isn't "enhanced" in anyway. Thanks for sharing.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i was not aware that horn could allow such detail as shown here. a totally great looking piece of art.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
That is very elegant and attractive.

I have a set of water buffalo horns that were scrimshawed in Indochina long ago. The images, while crude in comparison to yours, really pop out against the black horn with an iridescent silver-white sheen. The black horn is an excellent medium for the art of scrimshaw.