CAFE GUN LIST - engravable and not engravable

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Please list guns in this thread that you've had engraving experience with, both good and bad, and follow these guidelines when posting:

1.) This will be a list, not a discussion thread. :) If you wish to discuss posts in this thread, please start a new thread. This will make searching this thread much easier with less clutter.
2.) Make a new post for each brand of gun (Colt, S&W, etc). Searching will be difficult if you combine Colt and S&W in the same post. It's ok to make a Colt post and include several Colt models in that post, but make seperates posts for other brands.
3.) Feel free to write a little or a lot about your engraving experience with a particular gun. The more info you provide, the easier it'll be for someone who's considering engraving a gun you've done.
4.) If you click the GO ADVANCED button when you reply, you'll be able to add a title to your post (see Andrew Biggs' "Uberti Replica 1858 revolving carbine" post below).

Andrew Biggs

Uberti Replica 1858 revolving carbine

Uberti 1858 revolving carbine (Remington Replica)

Beautiful to engrave. No soft spots and feels consistant throughout. Feels like mild steel.

Once de-blued and stoned/polished to get machine marks out it is ready to engrave. The only part that is hardened is the hammer and seer. Be prepared to buy a new set of screws as they burr very easily. The barrell is an extremeley tight fit and required holding in a 20 ton press and a real snapping action to break thread seal. Be careful of rear sight as they are not always made to spring and may bend easily.

Cheers
Andrew Biggs

Last edited:
Henery repeating arms

Henery repeating arms - Not good to engrave. they are casted with their own mixture of metals. brass and aluminum I think. it clumps when you cut and has hard and soft spots.

Dave

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Bond Derringers.

Bond Derringers are suprisingly nice to engrave.
Even though they appear to be mainly cast parts, they cut very well.
John B.

loyd freeman

Uberti 1866 carbines

I have engraved three Uberti 1866 carbines and they cut like butter. Found no hard spots or hard ones. The only problem was getting the screws out and when finished I had a time getting them lined up and back in. The barrels came out very easy using a rubber pressure strap and went back in with little pressure. I found the butt plates were not bent just right and when I went to put them back on the screws broke some of the wood out. It took a little bending to get them in line.I have not tried the Uberti Henry yet as I am not sure how the ammo tube under the barrel comes out. Any one know? Loyd

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
Loyd,
The ammo tube is part of the barrel. Had to use a lot of muscle to barrel out of the receiver of the Uberti Henry that I just finished engraving.
Roger

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member
Uberti Firearms

The color case rifles, 73's etc. cuts good as the case color is chemical, not bone, so it's not true case hardened. Brass framed rifles cut good with a very slight chance for a sand spot. Stainless revlolvers cut a little harder but not bad at all with glen steel. Some of the color case pistols are harder than others. Have had to anneal some, but mostly the conversion models, which are the open tops, they seem to have more hardness to them. Usually revert to carbide gravers when comming accross some hard spots. It seems to be a hit or miss issue.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Henry Repeating Arms

I would like to clarify the Henry thing. Henry Repeating Arms Co makes a "Golden Boy" that is an alloy. The "Big Boy" rifle is brass and these are not to be confused with Uberti or other Italian reproductions of the original "Henry" design. I can't tell you much about the others but the Golden Boy is something to stay away from.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ruger Red Label shotguns

Ruger Red Label shotguns are not impossible to engrave, but are rather difficult.
The stainless steel alloys used in their investment casting process makes for some pretty hard cutting.
Definitely not for the inexperienced.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Browning guns

Hello,

Browning in general are very pleasant to engrave. Both shotguns and pistols. Sometime their rifles can be very hard especially the bolt action.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, could you put the guns in a "quick" list, one for good to engrave, one for difficult and one for avoid at all costs? That way we can get a quick view of what is what and check the written information if we need to.

Bill

Latest posts

Sponsors