Paul Revere engraving from 1782

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sam, that is so beautiful to behold. also of note, you can actually read the doctors' signature !

Bill Tokyo

Engraving question

I've often wondered: is "Bulino engraving" another name for "copper plate engraving".
I suppose that Bulino is not ever meant to be printed, but its my guess--and please correct me if I am way wrong--that if you inked a typical Bulino engraving you could probably print it quite nicely.

BTW, I'm in the engraving class taught by Mr. Hijikata at the Japan Jewelery Academy. It's a great bunch
of people. I don't know what it is about engraving, but it seems whatever country you're in, it sure
seems to draw on some fine people.

Bill

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's pretty cool Sam. You know whats even more cool is that a lot of the work done by many on this forum will probably be view by people just like us 230 years from now. Most likely in a different manor. But they'll still use their eyes and hands. Work done by early Egyptians is still being viewed, touched and studied today thousands of years latter. I wonder if the plate still exists.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very interesting Sam. I knew he was a silversmith but didn't know he was also an engraver.

Thanks,
Peter

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
This is a very interesting engraving and I think a great study in design layout. I was noticing how well the design flowed and looks in sync but a close look will reveal that the right and left sides are similar but totally different. I wondered is this his design or a pattern from a book either way a truly great design. As a budding engraver I will save this for future reference, thanks Sam.

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Very nice loose style on the acanthus leaves, the way he does the tips and loose and lively leaf curls.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bill, Haven't seen anyone answer your question so, this didn't show up on the forum the first time, so I am writing it again. Originally copper plate engraving was called "banknote" engraving. Its original purpose was for illustrating books, certificates, banknotes, or anything needing depicted and reproduced on paper with ink, since there were no cameras at that time. When the camera came along, it put a lot of illustrators out of work. "Bulino" is the italian word for banknote. It was primarily for the printing trade, and yes you can print from engravings when done with the banknote techniques. It is all line engraving and is printed on an etching press. Also, artist do prints on steel plates for longer more durable runs. Copper is soft enough that it won't print long runs because the plates begin to compress and wear, therefore things like money plates are done on steel and heat treated for wear. Hope this explains it if you didn't get my otheer message.............Ron S

Bill Tokyo

Many thanks for the explanation

Thanks very much for the explanation. Oddly enough I thought that maybe "Bullino" was the name of someone who made an impressive development in the art of engraving.

Now that I know the meaning of "Bullino" and that is in fact steel plate/copper plate engraving, it certainly clears up lots of mysteries for me.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Bulino is the Italian word for Burin.

Yes, quite often you'll hear Italians say "bulino normale" referring to a 'normal graver'. Not sure how long the style of portrait or scene engraving has been referred to as 'bulino', but it seems like it's been around since I've been engraving.
~Sam

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
thanks for showing Sam.Craft was in everything then , even the handwriting. The longer you study the document the more you see. Wonderful study piece.
Kent

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
HowStuffWorks Videos "American History: Paul Revere's Incorrect ...Almost everything about Paul Revere's famous engraving of the Boston Massacre is incorrect. The shootings took place at night ... Central & South America ▼ ...
videos.howstuffworks.com/hsw/22772-american-history-paul-reveres-incorrect-engraving-video.htm - 65k - Cached - Similar pages

Last edited:

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I've heard the art of intaglio printing was actually discovered by accident. The story goes that a medieval armor engraver, wanting to see his work better, rubbed some lamp black into the engraving. To clean it off, he laid a damp piece of fabric over the work and pressed it in to remove the black. When he lifted the fabric off the piece, to his surprise was a reverse print of the engraving.

carl bleile

Elite Cafe Member
I believe the french word for bulino is burin ( chisel ) and in english is graver. If I remember correctly in the early 70s I refered to my high detail work as banknote style engraving which is made of lines, dashes, and dots, basicly the way I cut when I was a banknote engraver the only difference was to get it to look darker with out ink in the cuts. The people that were using the term bulino were the dealers selling Italian guns, which I didn't understand because thats like saying graver engraving or chisel engraving and that didn't describe the style. I still use the term banknote style engraving because a person outside of the trade can quickly get a mental image of what I'm talking about, if I say bulino they ask what's that, I say burin, what they say, oh I mean chisel but realy it's a graver and it goes on untill I say you know looks like a banknote.
The people that are serious about (usually) having this type of work done can get their idea across with most terms they use, after they get it they can call it what ever they want, I think they just like to say "bulino"
Carl Bleile
southwest,Ohio

Very interesting indeed - both from an artisic and medical viewpoint. Note the subject of the engraving - if the unfortunate fellow supine on the table were not already dead, his demise would likely be waiting in the wings. This is ALSO the way they did surgery in those days - well before Sir Joseph Lister and the advent of asceptic surgical technique (note the bare hands of the operator) - and well before the days of anesthesia (both products of the 1800s). Think about those SAME hands going from cadaver to the surgical suite or lady in labor. By way of contrast, in 1782 as well as 2008 folks could/can appreciate the quality of the engraving. The subject of the engraving on the other hand: Then - state of the art. Now - appalling. We've much to be thankful for! Robbie

Latest posts

Sponsors