Choosing microscope

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,

I'm currently looking to buy a microscope, but few questions came up, because I don't know a thing about scopes.

1. How much should be the working distance? Some scopes from eBay in $400 price range have working distance of 100mm, is that enough for engraving? Should it be more, or can I live even with less?

2. Let's say microscope has 10x magnifier and range is 7-30x and it has 0.5x extender lens. Does the working range depend on microscope's manufacturer, or do they all have same characteristics?

3. Is Leica GZ4 stereo zoom microscope good for engraving?

4. Anything else I should know before buying microscope?

Thanks!
Viljo

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if your scope has the .5 lens, that will decrease the magnification- but will increase the working distance. the decrease in magnification is no problem, as the scope still delivers enough power for you to do the work you want to do. should the power decrease be a problem, simple enough- buy a set of higher power eyepieces. say a set of 15x or 20x. if you get a leica you are buying a quality scope. the buzz word on scopes seems to be meiji. i bought a "scienscope" brand. a name i never even heard of -but the bottom line is the scope is optically quite good. it's also mechanically well made. i was very reluctant to even buy a scope, but with all the folks on the forum here using them- well there had to be a good reason. it's taking me some getting used to working a different way, but if you're like me- you wont regret buying one. a word of advice- don't do serious work at first- just do practice work till you get the hang of foolin with it. good luck.

taran2ula

Question about scopes

Hello friends. My name is David and I am a new member here in this forum. It is really a treasure to have places like this to come to when you need information, and it also quite cool to read the mass of information on hand just for curiosity. First off, I am a self taught jewelry caster in my third year of casting. I taught my self how to clay cast first, and then moved on to lost wax casting. Through out this journey I have also taught myself wax carving, and mold making, as they go hand in hand with lost wax. It was a long hard road to get the information that I needed and I ran up against so many obstacles, misinformation, and questions that I was very frustrated for quite a while. Eventually I overcame all obstacles and today I am a full blown lost wax casting, wax carving, mold making, jewelry designing/repairing facility out of my home, and it was forums such as these that provided the greatest help ever. I am at a new crossroad now in my obsession with jewelry and I am hoping you guys and your obvious expertise can help me. I am now setting my own stones, both through gypsy settings and also prong settings and I find my self in need of a good microscope. I read a ton of articles on the net regarding all the different types, name brands, and their capabilities but I am quite confused about a few things. First off, I have settled on the purchase of a Bausch & Lomb Stereo Zoom 7 scope with a boom stand, because I simply can not afford the high dollar optics of todays stone setters, such as the Leica A60, or Meiji EMZ-5, yeah baby! My Stereo Zoom 7 is in minty condition and comes with the standard 10x eye pieces. It also has a camera port on the front of the head unit instead of the back of the head, like some models of the s7 I have seen. My first confusion and question is, the camera port has some sort of zoom ring on it with numbers ranging from small to larger, and I do not understand what it does, or what it's relationship to the systems optics are. I know it is for a camera, but does this allow you to connect to a computer, or something along those lines? If it is a zoom of some sort for the camera, does this effect the stereo lens view of the oculars as in some AmScope models? I thought this scope was a wee bit older so I am not sure exactly what it's capabilities are yet as I have no instructions and am trying to find them. I am going to be setting large gemstones as well as tiny ones and I am also wondering if the optics, as they come, stock, 10x eyepieces, 1 -7x zoom will be enough for tiny stone setting. I saw a nice set of 20x Bausch Lomb eye pieces at $65.00/pair in nice condition. Would buying these lenses be overkill for me? Too much magnification? Lastly, I do not understand the relationship, or effects thereof, between working distance with a Barlow lens and the over all magnification with the lenses I am using. In other words, what does the Barlow lens do exactly, besides increasing the working distance of the head unit to the work in the vise? Or is that all it does? Does installing a Barlow lens screw the magnification up of my current lens configuration? I would like to have about 12 inches of working distance without losing too much magnification, is that even possible? How do you mount this Barlow lens, and where does it get installed? Does it replace the stock 10x oculars? Do I need a pair of these Barlow lens for a stereo scope? What kind of lighting should I use for this scope and my purposes given the working distance I am hoping to achieve? LED ? Does it matter if I adapt a LED strip around my head unit around the lower viewing segment of the head? Or do they make a good LED unit now for that scope? I apologize in advance if I am ticking anyone off with my questions as I know they are many. I am quite a noob in this field, but I am so anxious to use a good scope in what I am doing, and at the same time feel frustrated at my lack of knowledge regarding these awesome tools. Peace and happiness to all and have a great evening. :)

Last edited:

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Viljo.

1 - I would say that 100mm (4 inches) is not enough, you want something that can give you 200 - 250 mm (8-10 inches) minimum.
2 - .5 objective lens will half the power, but will give you more working space. The working space will not be double. I am not sure what the ratio will be for the space.
3 - I recommend buying the best you can afford. And maybe a little more. Sam gave a great review on the Leica A60 not too long ago. I believe it can be found on the GRS website. If not I am sure you can find the thread on this forum. I have a Meiji and would like to upgrade some day.
4 - The better you can see your work, and the more light and less distortion you can get the better. Remember you eyes are very important, and the more you can take care of them the better you will be.

Mike