Another drawing critigue request

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi all. Here is another is another request for design/drawing advise. I know everyone is busy but any comments are greatly appreciated. This would be the design for a braclet. I know my flower is bland and stylized and really boring. and I know the whole thing is same old - same old and nothing innovative, but if I can get good scroll design and flow, etc. to an acceptable level, then I'll start worrying about botanically interesting flowers and innovation.

Thanks for any interest and comments as I know us hobbyists pester the pros a lot. But that's the only way We'll ever get out of the hobbyist class, and somebody has to keep the tool comanies in buisness ;). And lord knows I just wrote them a couple of nice checks.

Todd

Attachments

• Oct Drawing.jpg
    Oct Drawing.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 242

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks good to me, although even I can see that the shading is going to make or break it.

Be interesting to see what the folks who actually know what they're talking about say. ;)

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
I Agree with K C Steve about shading here. From one "Newbi" to another though, another thing to think about is how big is the bracelett going to be? youhave put a aufull lot of work into you design, witch some one is going to want to show off right now it looks like most of that will end up on the bottom side of the braclett. just some thoghts. i'll look foreward to seeing what others say. good luck! K Frei

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Todd from a fellow Tennessean.

Your scrolls are amazingly well done:drawing:, both from a balance perspective and concentricity. Bravo:happyvise: Flower looks fine too.

But like K Frei says, if this for a bracelet, it is way over designed. This work executed on a knife or a gun, would be quite expensive. I don't see it being applicable to bracelet or jewelry work except for the rarest of clients.

thughes

Steve,
No doubt you are correct about the shading, but that's probably true about any design. I just didn't shade it because, frankly for me any way, shading with a pen just never comes out looking they way it would with someone who knows what they are doing with a graver. And it doesn't transfer very well either.

K Frei,
I'm not really sure what you mean about the "bottom side". What I tried to do was lay out an outline that was braclett sized, I forget now, I think it was 6" x 1" or maby 1.5", then I just enlarged it so I could draw. I was trying to keep the scrolls pretty big as last few times I've tried it on this same outline, my scrolls were WAY to small to have put on a braclett, at least for me in the forseeable future.

Thanks for looking guys, and for your thoughts

Todd

Andrew Biggs

Hi Todd

A very nice drawing. Your technical pen skills are a hell of a lot better than mine!!!

There's a lot of good things happening in there...............I will disagree with Scott here and say that it is a very nice design for a bracelet and should work well making a very nice Christmas present for someone :)

The thing that strikes me is that your leaves are boring as you have already observed...........But to fix them wouldn't take much at all. Those long smooth lines only need to be broken up a bit like I have done. That can be done while you are cutting. It's just a matter of giving the leaves a few ragged edges.

You've done a fine job and come a long way. Well done :)

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• hughs.jpg
    hughs.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 197

DevilDog

Mr. Biggs,

Thanks for taking the time and effort in responding and giving your input. I learned something today from your post. Even though it isn't my drawing, I am glad experts take the time to respond to "newbie" questions. Muchas Gracias!

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks like you've gotten some great advice here, so now ...GO CUT IT!:biggrin: And post a pic when you're done. Our eyes want to see it in metal :thumbsup:

thughes

Andrew and Bruce, thanks very much for looking and for your input. I can't tell y'all how much i've learned from the feedback I've received on this forum on my drawing efforts. I've never had any kind of art training so the help i've gotten here has been awsome. I've been accumulating used equipment over the last year and just got the funds together and purchased my air tool a couple of days ago. I guess it's time to see what I remember from the couple of classes I've had. I just figured that the best use of my time while I was trying to get things together was to draw and draw and draw.

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
K Frei,
I'm not really sure what you mean about the "bottom side". What I tried to do was lay out an outline that was braclett sized, I forget now, I think it was 6" x 1" or maby 1.5", then I just enlarged it so I could draw. I was trying to keep the scrolls pretty big as last few times I've tried it on this same outline, my scrolls were WAY to small to have put on a braclett, at least for me in the forseeable future.

I love the suggestions that other people have given, and now it is up to you to make a decision on how you approach the project in front of you. Andrew has show'd some simple elements that will really add to the piece. i guess in my mind i saw this as a Bangle style bracelet witch would mean that the majority of the detail will end up on the sides and bottom of the piece, not out where is will easily be seen. if you still don't understand what i am trying to say try printing off a scale size image of this and wrap it around your wrist, see if you like where things are then: if you do then great! Cut it; and knock it out of the park, then show us so we can be jealous of your skill, and renew our own resolve to be better. I guess what i am trying to say is make sure your gunna love it. great work good luck! K Frei

Todd[/QUOTE]

Andrew Biggs

Hi Todd

No worries. Glad to help out. :)

Don't take my word as gospel. At the end of the day it's only my way of looking at things. Always look at other peoples work to gain inspiration and ideas from. Just keep drawing and studying and it'll all click together for you.

You will find that cutting will help you understand the design better and aid your drawing. The two always go together hand in hand.

Good luck with the cutting. At first you'll get frustrated because in your minds eye you can see how you want it to look and sometimes it doesn't end up that way because you lack the technical skill..................... But over time, combined with a lot of cutting practice, the two will merge and the frustration will diminish.

Devil Dog..........Just call me Andrew. When anyone calls me Mr. Biggs it normally means I'm in trouble or up before the Beak :)

Cheers
Andrew

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Todd

No worries. Glad to help out. :)

Good luck with the cutting. At first you'll get frustrated because in your minds eye you can see how you want it to look and sometimes it doesn't end up that way because you lack the technical skill..................... But over time, combined with a lot of cutting practice, the two will merge and the frustration will diminish.

Amen! Thanks Andrew; i need that reminder from time to time as well.

thughs: i got your message after my last reply sorry for the repetitiveness. K Frei

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice design. You have already gotten some good advice here.

The only thing I'd say to be careful of is over stretching those first leaves of the starter scrolls (i.e. the ones that go behind the flower). I'd say you are just bordering on the possibility of this and have probably just got away with it. When over stretching happens, the tendency is for the first leaf and/or tendril to be too big compared with the rest of the leaves and tendrils within the scroll. Also, extremely long shading can make it look a bit unbalanced. I'm not saying that will happen here, it's just something to be aware of.

Also, be careful of leaves that start to point forward as these can look spiky and unattractive when the background is cut away and they're shaded.

Let's see what it looks like when cut.:thumbsup: