Handpiece users...what's your grip?

Handpiece users...what's your primary grip?

• Most or all of my engraving is done with my finger on the top.

Votes: 48 49.5%
  • Most or all of my engraving is done with the traditional grip.

Votes: 49 50.5%

• Total voters

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
If you use a pneumatic handpiece, how do you hold it? The traditional way is with the thumb extended along side of the graver, and this is the grip used by hand-push engravers. Many new school handpiece engravers place their finger on the top of the graver. What's your primary grip?

Attachments

• poll_traditional.jpg
    poll_traditional.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 654
  • poll_finger_on_top.jpg
    poll_finger_on_top.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 651

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Traditional hold. A little looser with power assist. American side stroke with hammer and chisel. Right Handed. Fred

Last edited:

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
I use the "fingertop" hold - that is to say that I steady the tool with the "palm knob" of the handpiece resting deep in my hand and with an open hold (no wrapping my hand around the handpiece). I "lead" the graver point with my index finger. I usually do not rotate on my thumb because I tend to lay out with Chinese White and pencil or wax and pencil - much too delicate layout methods for thumb anchoring. Likewise, I do appreciate the concept of "anchoring" and use that technique whenever possible. When I teach, I try to get students to anchor somehow, if not on their thumb, on an extended finger prior to starting a cut. In other words, like Sam said above, anchoring, prior to or during the cut, can be an important part of graver control.

Something new :happyvise: I just received my new Artisan handpiece. I found myself using it in a traditional "Pencil grip" for fine stippling. Then, even more surprising to me, I put a delicate little 120 degree graver in it and started engraving detail with a pencil grip....I thought I would never do such a thing....please don't tell my students !!

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i'm a 'index fingertip on top for everything' guy. even using a hand burin i 'anchor' (as Mike D. put it) with my fingertip. i also use a 'pencil grip' for pecking out bulino dots.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
finger on top till it begins to ache a bit, then to the more traditional way, then back on top.

Paul Russell

Hi folks,
I am only new to this engraving world, but I tend to hold my hand piece with the graver held between my thumb and fore-finger, sort of traditional (just with my thumb further back, closer to the end of the handpiece tube ) as much as possible. But for deeper cuts, I place my fore-finger on top of the graver.

Thanks for the great forum, by the way Sam !!

Cheers, Paul.

Last edited:

Mrfinks

Hi everyone
newbie here, I don't have a pneumatic system yet. I hand push

I recently bought Steve Lindsays 116 v template. Previous to using this graver I used the traditional grip, and it worked great. Now however I've found that I can't use the traditional grip with the 116,with anything other than straight cuts, because it cuts too deep and just stops. I tried really hard to learn using the traditional thumb grip as it felt unnatural at the beginning.
I made quick progress with a standard square graver geometry and the thumb grip, but when I made the switch I found that I couldn't make successful cuts. I slipped and stabbed myself so many times that I was forced to try something new.

Now I use a grip similar to that of a cello bow hold (if anyone here plays cello) the middle finger and thumb pinch each other, the index finger doesnt go on top(most of the time) it wraps around and goes on the far side of the graver, extending only a bit. the ring and pinky finger simply go in there natural position the graver handle.
The thumb and middle finger hold the graver, whilst the index finger gives stability and acts as a guide .
Am I the only one that does this?

Has anyone else experienced this with the Steve Lindsay geometries? Are they not suitable for hand push engraving?

regards
Chris Cole

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is a good example of an old thread, that contains valuable information, how to hold a hand-piece, I used the search function that Sam mentioned earlier.

I hope this helps someone.

Sanch, I am going to start something that is done on facebook one engravers challenges another to show his work for x amount of day, I challenge you to find a useful post and revive it, then PM someone and name the next person that frequents here on the forum. Ill Pm you in a bit Sanch.

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
If you use a pneumatic handpiece, how do you hold it? The traditional way is with the thumb extended along side of the graver, and this is the grip used by hand-push engravers. Many new school handpiece engravers place their finger on the top of the graver. What's your primary grip?

I am new to hand pieces and now I find myself using both grips! and some strange ones to boot!

Latest posts

Sponsors