View Poll Results: What best describes you and your engraving?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a full time gun engraver.

8 4.30%
  • I'm a full time knife engraver.

2 1.08%
  • I'm a full time jewelry engraver.

2 1.08%
  • I'm a full time hobo coin carver.

2 1.08%
  • I'm a full time engraver who engraves many things (hobo nickels, guns, knives, jewelry, etc).

32 17.20%
  • I'm a jeweler who also does hand engraving.

40 21.51%
  • I'm a hobbyist and do engraving for pleasure and do not seek paid jobs.

53 28.49%
  • I'm a hobbyist and get paid for my engraving.

25 13.44%
  • I'm a knifemaker and engrave my own knives.

13 6.99%
  • I'm a gunmaker and engrave the guns I build.

9 4.84%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok Chris & I'll bring Pink Floyd, "Dark Side of the Moon"
    Brian
    www.powleyengraving.com
    http://engraversnotebook.blogspot.com

"I dare you to believe in yourself. You have no idea how many wonderful things you are capable of doing."---Brian Powley

Post Thanks / Like

BJREBUCK....I'm one of those masters that is willing to do the work. PM me.
    Brian
    www.powleyengraving.com
    http://engraversnotebook.blogspot.com

"I dare you to believe in yourself. You have no idea how many wonderful things you are capable of doing."---Brian Powley

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread Sam.

My full income is from my engraving. Either from the work that comes off my bench or from teaching engraving in one of my classes.

It would be nice to have an outside income (that's why I keep buying powerball tickets ). Granted my wife has a job but most guys wives do have jobs and if I weren't married I would still be supporting myself solely from my engraving.

Most of the work is on objects for customers. However, the jobs that are the most fun for me are the jobs where I get to make the object and then engrave it. I really like to make the knife and engrave it or build the fly rod and engrave it, etc.

Chris' comment brings up another point about people's perceptions. If someday I do win that powerball and don't have to work for a living. I wonder if the perception would be that I was less of an engraver because I engraved for the sole enjoyment of it rather than having to make a living with it.

Ray

Ray
    School of Fine Art Engraving
    learningtoengrave.com
    cover@sbcglobal.net

5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Cover View Post

Chris' comment brings up another point about people's perceptions. If someday I do win that powerball and don't have to work for a living. I wonder if the perception would be that I was less of an engraver because I engraved for the sole enjoyment of it rather than having to make a living with it.

Ray

Ray

Perception comes from quality and price. Price mostly I think. Simply from observation, it seems that in the "craftsman" type fields of service, working for necessity rather than for luxury leaves very little time for the epic stuff. I would probably have a lot more cool stuff to work on and post if I wasn't so pressed to make money LOL!!

How many questions have we helped answer with respect to "engraving full time" or specifically "Is it possible to make money in engraving?"

When it comes to learning how to prosper in this business, I would be more inclined to listen to the guy who has had his feet held to the fire at one time or another with engraving as his only source of income. He's figured out things with respect to working efficiently and intelligently that the guy living off his lottery winnings doesn't have to.

I'm curious to know why so many engravers live in Mayberry RFD and not in Manhattan. 100+ years ago, full time engravers were wealthy celebrities .... like Hollywood producers today, they traveled in private coaches and had the finest commercial space on the city's most exclusive block. What happened? In another 100 years, will engraving be relegated as a hobby entirely? ... maybe a dead art altogether?

Let's take a lesson from our esteemed jeweler friends and take the intrinsic value, add labor, then double the price (called "profit" ladies and gentlemen) and not have to play the lottery, teach, flip burgers or drive a cab.

This is always a touchy subject and there's always someone with thin skin so as usual, I'll apologize for any offense given, not given or about to be given. I gotta run ................ have fun

P.S. I did vote and I wish I could have checked "hobby". It's always an enjoyable place to be. I'm planning a move to much higher cost of living area soon and wonder if it can be accomplished without the need to supplement income or a higher percentage of jewelry engraving. It's fun engraving all sorts of stuff and giving up or doing less of any one would be a bummer ... Sorry Ray, no-one believes anyone would be less of an engraver for whatever reason. Just curious as to the earning potential of one guy at a bench.
    Last edited by Christopher Malouf; 05-09-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: added PS

5. Likes Ron Jr. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For me living in Mayberry RFD has more to do with personality than economics. If I had Donald Trumps money I wouldn't live in Manhattan. Two years of living in Manhattan would turn me into a psychopathic homicidal maniac. It may be for some folks but that would be the end of me.

I need to stay out where the air is fresh and I can stay mellow
    School of Fine Art Engraving
    learningtoengrave.com
    cover@sbcglobal.net

Post Thanks / Like

Full time professional Hand Engraver since 1978.
    "An amateur practices until he can get it right. A professional practices until he can't get it wrong"

Full time professional Hand Engraver.
    Click HERE to see full image of Avatar

8. Likes JJ Roberts liked this post
    Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
    Post Thanks / Like

Full time gun engraver though "self unemployed" may be more accurate. Mayberry is too crowded!
    TOS
    (The Other Sam)

FEGA LIFE
    ACGG LIFE
    Guns, Guitars and Old Cars
    A.I.E.

Cravingravin=a chronic malady that afflicts some of the world's nicest people...TOS

Post Thanks / Like

I am a full time firearms engraver ...... My families only income comes from engraving guns with a few pocket knives thrown in for fun. I live in Mayberry RFD (Orcas Island WA). My Grandfather was a jewelry engraver in Chicago (1930) then in Los Angeles (1940-50's) his work depended on jewelry stores in those big cities...... Because of the invention of the computer I can live anywhere.

P.S. I will be getting Social Security starting the first of the year.
    Dennis Reigel
    (dull tool)

Post Thanks / Like

Full time, self employed Jeweler with a small retail shop. Hand Engraving, mostly on the things I make, is what seperates us from the rest. Wish it was as easy as "take the intrinsic value, add labor, then double the price (called "profit" ladies and gentlemen) and not have to play the lottery". I can't afford to buy the lottery tickets, and much of the time am having a sale. Just started a new radio campaign, got a custom Celtic bracelet order from a Google search, so maybe things are starting to turn. Just finishing our second full year in this wonderful economic climate! Cheers!

p.s. Start geting SS next month! The business is in the wifes name, and we can use the money. I don't get paid anyway! LOL

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we should have a poll on how many of us are on SS. That is to say, getting old.
    TOS
    (The Other Sam)

FEGA LIFE
    ACGG LIFE
    Guns, Guitars and Old Cars
    A.I.E.

Cravingravin=a chronic malady that afflicts some of the world's nicest people...TOS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast