Are you a full-time hand engraver, hobbyist, jeweler?

What best describes you and your engraving?

• I'm a full time gun engraver.

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • I'm a full time knife engraver.

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I'm a full time jewelry engraver.

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • I'm a full time hobo coin carver.

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I'm a full time engraver who engraves many things (hobo nickels, guns, knives, jewelry, etc).

Votes: 32 14.1%
  • I'm a jeweler who also does hand engraving.

Votes: 52 22.9%
  • I'm a hobbyist and do engraving for pleasure and do not seek paid jobs.

Votes: 69 30.4%
  • I'm a hobbyist and get paid for my engraving.

Votes: 34 15.0%
  • I'm a knifemaker and engrave my own knives.

Votes: 15 6.6%
  • I'm a gunmaker and engrave the guns I build.

Votes: 10 4.4%

• Total voters

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Maybe we should have a poll on how many of us are on SS. That is to say, getting old.

Thanks for the good idea, Sam. I started another poll. I didn't ask about SS as we can probably figure that out based on age. Of course folks are welcome to mention that in replies if they like :)

Stan the man

Hey Sam, Look to the back of the room and see they guy waving.....That's me! I am a first class bottom of the barrel just starting to learn New-bee! They don't come any newer then me. So I guess that puts me into amateur hobbyist category But I am learning fast!!!

I have watched all your you tube videos and just received your graver sharpener DVD that my Fiancee Jane bought me for my birthday. I really learned a lot and enjoyed watching it.

I have no idea where this will take me but one day I hope to earn the title of master engraver.

Just so you know it was your work and the the work you have posted on the internet particularly the firearms engravings which have inspired me in wanting to learn this field of study. I look forward to meeting you one day.
Stan.

GOAT

hobbist

Hey Sam, I started off as a chainsaw carver that went to small wood carving to stock engraving to forging to finally engraving, was just playing around as an artist, but now I'm starting to get more business than I was expecting, I engrave watches and knives mainly....will some day make the jump to full time artist, but as a trauma nurse I make more doing this, and its hard to walk away from a sure paycheck. so lets see what the future holds.

paintedman

41 years as a professional chimney sweep & mason operative and speculative. I also have been a fiirearms mfg for the past 12 years. I started hand engraving due to a motorcycle accident( 7 herniated disc ). luckily i had bought my other half Di a palm control classic . She never quite picked it up... head visor not enuff . I picked it up about 14 mos ago and started cutting haven't looked back since. Funny thing is i cut on a colt officers and ended up with a very similar job to mr Rigel no where near as clean but almost the same design it must have made a impression on me since it stuck in my head enuff for me to pattern like it . So far i have had one 3 day class but will be taking more soon i intend to engrave full time out of my house once we are done moving to a new location .

Eugene Carkoski

Elite Cafe Member
I will be 75 next month, In 1980 I bought a graver meister to replace the hammer and chisel, I made the decision then that I probably wouldn't be good enough to make a living doing engraving. I had a good job and a young family, So I made the decision that it would be a hobby that I loved.
If it takes me a year and a half to do a five hour job, so be it. I want to thank all you people out there that still inspire me, to do something I enjoy. Thank you

BJP

I'm actually a hobbyist who casts or fabricates jewelry and am doing research into using gravers to set stones in pieces that I have made. I prong set already but want to increase my repertoire. The plan is eventually to start a small business to sell some of my work...

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Full Time Jeweler and watch smith
i have a signature engraver at the store , but i am learning hand engraving to use at store and hobby
i am 44 years old

Foxjewel

I'm 54 y.o... right now just starting out as an engraver. I just took Ray Cover's phenomenal Basic Engraving class in July. BOOM! - That was my mind blowing up because it was mind-blowing!

I have a degree in Fine Jewelry manufacturing, design and repair and worked as bench jeweler for several years before leaving that and going to work in the Aerospace field. I worked in a group that built gyroscopes and accelerometers under microscopes so they only hired watchmakers and jewelers. I stopped making jewelry when I had kids at 38, but was still in aerospace. I just left there a few years ago to be a stay-at-home- mom. I've always wanted to engrave but hubby thought I had enough degrees (I have 2 bachelors and a Techincal Trade Degree). So... when something happened and a lifelong dream fell through recently... I was very sad! I again asked if I could take an engraving class, to see if I COULD engrave, or would even LIKE engraving as well as see what kind of equipment would suit me best. I cannot believe how much I enjoyed it. I liked the lettering the most, but I enjoyed it all! So right now, I am only a hobbyist... but I hope to be able to make some money at it one day... and would LOVE to say that I'm working at it full-time, but only time will tell!

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm 71 and on SS along with three other small pensions so I don't need to engrave for a living, but it sure is nice to be compensated for your talent and time. Unfortunately, I live in "Mayberry RFD" and an especially poor city and county, as almost ALL industry has left. The population has actually dropped since I moved here 15 years ago, so there is no expendable income for any type of art work. Walmart was responsible for closing a lot of small businesses in the area.
Any way, I'm a serious hobbyist and do get paid for my work. The rifles I have engraved for charity have generated quite a bit of interest and income for the charities and I get "paid" in the satisfaction of contributing to worthy causes.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Mr. Big-un, I too am in the same boat as yourself, while taking engraving very seriously, the economic state of Flint, Mi. is pitiful to say the least. Has joining FEGA brought any recognition to the starving artist known as Big-un? I have not done enough to be recognized barely by my family and friends, I hope to progress in the future. Respectfully Submitted, RMicheal.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mr. Big-un, I too am in the same boat as yourself, while taking engraving very seriously, the economic state of Flint, Mi. is pitiful to say the least. Has joining FEGA brought any recognition to the starving artist known as Big-un? I have not done enough to be recognized barely by my family and friends, I hope to progress in the future. Respectfully Submitted, RMicheal.

I received three commissions from my listing on the FEGA site, so yes, it does help us for recognition to those well-versed in quality engraving.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I suspected such and will be true to form and conviction. Thank you for your response, I will posting soon..........I'm finishing my new diamond lap.

bigfoot

Hi all I’m 72 years young and a silversmith jeweller, facetor, and learning engraving. Gone through all your videos Sam and am having a lot of fun. Sell some items and donate some to charity. It’s nice being retired and having some great hobbies
I’m from British Columbia, Canada

I’m a stay at home dad, that engraves things when I’m not watching my daughter. I’m only a year into this art form but I take it very seriously(no other hobbies or social life, all I do is study engraving, hahaha) and seem to be pretty decent at it. I practice everyday for minimum of Atleast an hour and, I hope to make it full time when my little one is a bit older and she’s in school.

Latest posts

Sponsors