leave or remove proofmarks?

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have received a Bergmann Bayard 1910. It is an early 1900s semi auto handgun that was built in Belgium. It has a gazillion proofmarks on the barrel and slide. All are in a terrible spot for designing engraving. Give me the compelling reasons for not filing all of them off.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Lee,

If they have no bearing on the "value" of the weapon or they do not represent any meaning to a collector then I say FILE AWAY. :thumbsup:

Donny

Andrew Biggs

Hi Lee

If you are to engrave it then you are probably going to destroy any true antique collectors value anyway.

By filing them off and engraving it you are then adding to another type of collectors value.

So file away :)

Cheers
Andrew

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
I might make smoke pulls of all the proof marks and hide them in the final design. Just an idea.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee,

Assuming the gun belongs to a client, I would suggest getting his or her input on the subject. If the client doesn't care one way or the other, I'd remove the proofs since the value of the gun will be far more in the engraving than in the gun.

The 1910 BB was made to only fire one specific cartridge and load so the lack of proofs should cause no confusion should someone later decide to shoot it. On the other hand if this was a shotgun I would not remove the proofs as they carry important information about the gauge, chamber length, shot weight, and so forth. Fortunately, on doubles, the proofs are on the water table and barrel flats where they go unseen unless the gun is disassembled.

We have often discussed here the merits of which guns can be successfully upgraded as a "spec job" to gain the best financial reward and I'm sure no one would ever suggest an antique Bergmann Bayard, however your project points up the fact that when it comes to clients, one never knows what they may ask you to do. They all have their own reasons. I used an anology in another thread comparing spending a substantial sum of $ to customize a '57 Chevy or a '57 Nash. While the financial return on the Chevy would be far greater when eventually sold, some people are really into the Nash brand and are willing to pay to get their dream car with no concern for a later financial reward. So it is with guns, and more power to those who just look at the gun as a vehicle for some really fine art and craftsmanship:tiphat:

Roger

Last edited:

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
I used a laser to fill in all the markings except serial # on my 1903 colt.... using a laser meant no filing, which im sure could be time consuming if some of the stamps are deep enough.... befriend a local jeweler that has access to one of these amazing machines....

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks to all for the informative comments.
Roger, we can only dream of the day that our work will be valued for itself and the canvas is well.....a canvas much like a painter. Ocassionally I have that experience (maybe this one if I do it right and the Henry of a few years ago) but by and large I suppose it's safest to restore the Chevy instead of the Nash...alas.

Latest posts

Sponsors