Question: glock 9mm engraving r&d

kfengraver

so i just got my glock 9mm and i can hardly wait to shoot it. even more i want to engrave it.. i seen many pics online so i know it can be done. it will be my first gun engraving. dose anybody have sugestions on what i might do or gravers to use. sory not looking for design ideas i dont want to copy, i want totaly origanal. thank you

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glocks are almost impossible to engrave on the slide. They have what Glock calls a "Tennifer" coating, which is close to diamonds in hardness. I think the Glocks you have seen with engraving were probably done with a laser, or etched. The polymer frame could be engraved, but with a plain slide, why?:(

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
Unfortunately I have a model 27 I would love to do, but have found no one who recommends even trying it. I did a lot of searching trying to find pictures of any that were engraved, but as Ed said, everything seems to be etched or lasered. Sad because the Glocks are very popular.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You could always contact GLOCK about it. There's a chance they can send you an unhardened slide for you to engrave and then finish it after you're done.

Don't know if it's a practical solution (cost wise) but it's a possibility.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I doubt Glock would send an unhardened slide because of product liability. They wouldn't take the chance that the unhardened slide might possibly fall into the hands of the "general public". Let somebody get hurt with a Glock that has an known unhardened slide opens the lawsuit doors wide enough to shut them down forever.
But....you never know.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
my wife & i each have a Glock (a 26 & a 19, respectively) and while they are excellent machines for their intended purpose, i'd no more consider engraving them than i would our gardening implements. they're what i'd call "all for go, not for show." ;)

pretty is as pretty does...

Last edited:

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm kinda with Mitch: "all for go, not for show."
I DO like any gun that is engraved nicely but for some reason or another most of these "Black guns",as I call them, just don't seem to lend themselves to engraving very well.....

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
There is another way to go. There are a couple of companys that make slides for glock pistols. Caspian and CCF are a couple. You can look at them on www.brownells.com. :tiphat:
Sandy

kfengraver

so if glock is not able to help with a unharden slide. then maybe i will exchange the gun for something i will be able to engrave. but witch one. any sugestions. something fun to shoot and engraveable

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"I DO like any gun that is engraved nicely but for some reason or another most of these "Black guns",as I call them, just don't seem to lend themselves to engraving very well....."

I'm with Brian:thumbsup: The M1A2 may be the best main battle tank in the world but I wouldn't paint a mural on one. (FWIW firing the main gun on an M1 tank was probably the coolest thing I have ever shot!)

"Those Cap & Ball black powder pistols are very affordable and shootable. Highly recommended for your first engraved gun."

Brian nailed it again! Especially those brass framed copies of the 1851 Navy. Their finish is a little rough and will teach you lots about sanding and polishing before you even start engraving. They also have many kinds of surfaces (flat, rounded, spherical, etc.) that will teach you how to deal with the attack angles of your graver. Best of all they are enexpensive so your beginner mistakes will be cheap ones and you can afford to keep it as an example of where you started.

Once you are satisfied with you ability to engrave a pistol and are ready to go onto one of your own for CCW, I recommend a Browning High Power. They are a fine pistol and cut very well. Best of all, upgrading one with good engraving will always pay off if you decide to sell it later.

Cheers,

Roger

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Engraving on a modern black gun can look nice though - http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p238-lady.aspx That's a SIG P238 'Lady', the hand engraved version of the P238. They claim the flower is gold inlay but my examination of it makes it look a lot more like plate than inlay - the surface texture exactly matches the texture of the untouched portions of the slide (and it's not completely smooth). The cuts are through the finish. If there's a Cabela's store near you they may have one (that's how I get to see it, I work at the Kansas City Cabela's gun counter).

Latest posts

Sponsors