Sam's hobo nickel vise

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Ron showed us his excellent hobo nickel vise so I thought I'd share mine which was made by Jack Graves. Jack's a tool & die maker and when I saw this vise I was blown away. Tightening the allen screw on the bottom draws the precision collet in and tightens it securely around the nickel. The collet has a slot and a guide pin in the side of the holder prevents the collet from spinning as it's tightened. It's massive, heavy, and made with toolroom precision.

hobo_nickel_vise.jpg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sam : does this gent sell these to other folks?if so, i'd like to contact him. :biggrin:

Sam

Staff member
I don't think so, monk. He's retired from the tool & die shop where he made them. :(

tolesh

That looks like a collet for a machine lathe mounted in a cylinder of metal. A machineist could make you one. Just show him a picture and he will know what to do.

Sam

Staff member
The features I especially like are that the coin rests above the edges of the collet and the fixture's shoulders are tapered downward. This makes for unobstructed engraving, finishing, stoning, etc.

auto45lee

Looks like a set of 5C collet block chucks would work great you get 2 blocks one 4 sides and one 6 sides from most tool supply or ebay for about $40.00 and a 5C 3/4" collet for about $5.00 if you have a lathe or a friend that has one turn the 3/4" collet top edge to fit the coin.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know for sure if I'm allowed to say this :confused:... but, you can buy a really nice nickle holder for $39.00 on the "other forum". They are readily available and the price isn't out of line.

Sam

Staff member
I don't know for sure if I'm allowed to say this :confused:... but, you can buy a really nice nickle holder for $39.00 on the "other forum". They are readily available and the price isn't out of line.

There are no prohibitions of mentioning Lindsay or any other tool brands here, and I have no idea why people think they have to tip-toe or be so cautious. I can only assume it's because of the absurd tool wars of the past or the fact that the Benevolent Dictator is a GRS tool freak:handpiece: who's been proudly teaching at their training center for 13 years. :cool:

Oh, and that looks like an excellent nickel holder.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
What tool war would you be referring to. I've not seen any dead bodies in Reno. Some of us do engrave guns. I would term it more an interesting conversation.
Our Benevolentt Dictator has always been a most graciouss host and teacher.

Jim

j_grvs

Thanks for the compliments on my nickel holders. I was very supprised to see that you posted the photos and kind words, thanks again. BTW they were made from scrap Hyd.cylinder rods, stainless grade???. Holders and collets are are same material. I do have 6 more of them and would sell them for $ 50.00 each +shipping if anyone is intrested. My email address is jackngrvs@yahoo.com or j_grvs here on the forum. Regards: Jack Graves

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had a chance to see the holders and some of the other stuff Jack made and I was in awe.. Really cool and well made stuff! Not a sales pitch but if you are into nickels these holders are top notch!

Sam

Staff member
Thanks for the compliments on my nickel holders. I was very supprised to see that you posted the photos and kind words, thanks again. BTW they were made from scrap Hyd.cylinder rods, stainless grade???. Holders and collets are are same material. I do have 6 more of them and would sell them for $ 50.00 each +shipping if anyone is intrested. My email address is jackngrvs@yahoo.com or j_grvs here on the forum. Regards: Jack Graves

$50 is the bargain of the year for this nickel holder!

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
The 2 reasons that I had raised the issue of tool origin, in a previous thread, were that 1) I WAS chastised, on a different forum, for including a reference to GRS and 2) when asking about which of 2 tools, that were made by the proprieter of the other forum, were preferable to each other, why not ask on the forum that represented those tools? No slight intended to either forum. Steve re-read my posting and re-instated it, and there has never been a question here about whether a legitimate engraving question could/should be asked. I am a proud user of GRS tools, and while I sometimes wish for more portability, more often than not am thankful for the excuse that my tools aren't portable.
Wish I couls afford the nickle holder. Looks like a great tool, and who wouldn't want more tools?

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
I was fortunate to be able to buy one of Jacks Nickel holders and it arrived today. The picture doesn't do it justice, it is a BEAST I tell you! It literally weighs over a pound, 465 Grams with a Nickel to be exact. Thanks Jack!

Ryan O'Shea

I am looking for a nickel vise. I remember when the Lindsey vise was like 25$. its now 50$. Way to expensive. Any other suggestions?
I saw a carbon fiber one by a company I am never heard of before.
I dunno. Was just thinking it would be fun to carve nickels again. You know how it goes. Once you start engraving. You have to engrave everything. And I can get nice Buffalo Nickels for a dollar each. So I have LOADS of them.

Sam

Staff member
I'm
I am looking for a nickel vise. I remember when the Lindsey vise was like 25$. its now 50$. Way to expensive. Any other suggestions?
I saw a carbon fiber one by a company I am never heard of before.
I dunno. Was just thinking it would be fun to carve nickels again. You know how it goes. Once you start engraving. You have to engrave everything. And I can get nice Buffalo Nickels for a dollar each. So I have LOADS of them.

Too expensive??? Then glue the nickel down with 5-minute epoxy and warm it with a torch when you're finished. Works like a charm. Super glue will also work but I'm not sure it has the holding power of thicker epoxy.