+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sam's hobo nickel vise

Ron showed us his excellent hobo nickel vise so I thought I'd share mine which was made by Jack Graves. Jack's a tool & die maker and when I saw this vise I was blown away. Tightening the allen screw on the bottom draws the precision collet in and tightens it securely around the nickel. The collet has a slot and a guide pin in the side of the holder prevents the collet from spinning as it's tightened. It's massive, heavy, and made with toolroom precision.

hobo_nickel_vise.jpg

Join me on Facebook

Instagram

2. Likes JOSIAH HANLEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

sam : does this gent sell these to other folks?if so, i'd like to contact him.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think so, monk. He's retired from the tool & die shop where he made them.

Join me on Facebook

Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a collet for a machine lathe mounted in a cylinder of metal. A machineist could make you one. Just show him a picture and he will know what to do.

Post Thanks / Like

The features I especially like are that the coin rests above the edges of the collet and the fixture's shoulders are tapered downward. This makes for unobstructed engraving, finishing, stoning, etc.

Join me on Facebook

Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a set of 5C collet block chucks would work great you get 2 blocks one 4 sides and one 6 sides from most tool supply or ebay for about $40.00 and a 5C 3/4" collet for about $5.00 if you have a lathe or a friend that has one turn the 3/4" collet top edge to fit the coin.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know for sure if I'm allowed to say this ... but, you can buy a really nice nickle holder for $39.00 on the "other forum". They are readily available and the price isn't out of line.

"Doc" - Neal L. Martin

"Never start vast projects with half-vast ideas." / "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." / "Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaDocMartin View Post
    I don't know for sure if I'm allowed to say this ... but, you can buy a really nice nickle holder for $39.00 on the "other forum". They are readily available and the price isn't out of line.

There are no prohibitions of mentioning Lindsay or any other tool brands here, and I have no idea why people think they have to tip-toe or be so cautious. I can only assume it's because of the absurd tool wars of the past or the fact that the Benevolent Dictator is a GRS tool freak who's been proudly teaching at their training center for 13 years.

Oh, and that looks like an excellent nickel holder.

Join me on Facebook

Instagram

10. Likes Artemiss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What tool war would you be referring to. I've not seen any dead bodies in Reno. Some of us do engrave guns. I would term it more an interesting conversation.
    Our Benevolentt Dictator has always been a most graciouss host and teacher.

Jim
    I never get tired of talking, joking, arguing, discussing, a subject that holds our attention most of the day. Engraving.

Jim Zimmermn
    Hand Engraving Canada ~-~-~-www.handengravingcanada.com

Post Thanks / Like