New Stove Paint

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's my latest efforts on a Winchester Model 21. I spent about 700 hours here....all sculpted into the steel, nothing was added on. Finished in antique nickel.
Your comments are welcome.

Weldon:cool:

Attachments

• 077 - Copy.jpg
    077 - Copy.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 315
  • 059 - Copy.jpg
    059 - Copy.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 265
  • 029 - Copy.jpg
    029 - Copy.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 260
  • 025 - Copy.jpg
    025 - Copy.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 262
  • 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 568
  • 081 - Copy.jpg
    081 - Copy.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 224

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Ok, first off I rarely like oak leaf engraving because most of what I've seen looks fake and cartoony. But this is just fantastic, Weldon! It's beautifully done and leaves are very organic and natural looking. What wonderful design and execution. I absolutely love it! :happyvise::clapping:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i'm not a fan of oak leaves, but if you're gonna do 'em, that's the way they oughta be done! (and thank you for resisting the use of clichéd gold acorns...)

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Wow, I especially like the way you treated the top of the action and the lever. Beautiful.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks to all!:biggrin:

In answer to a question: It is not bulino....The leaves are actually shaped or sculpted using chislets or, small punches. If you take a look at one of the pics that shows a side view of the action you can get a feel for the depth of the engraving.
The shaping or, sculpting is done after the design is outline cut and the background is relieved. I give a preliminary shape or contour to the element using a flat chisel & then use the punches to finish off the shape. The background leaves (which lay under the leaves on top) are done in a similar fashion excepting that they are not sculpted quite as much, then they are shaded to recede as a layer before the design fades into the black matted background. The Quail are sculpted and then shaded using matting punches and line punches. A line punch cuts a very small straight line & the weight of that line is controlled with the depth....hope all that makes sense! If not keep asking...I don't know much so, it won't take long to tell it!!!:shock:

One of the most difficult areas was relieving the smooth background around the Quail....I didn't use an etchant like acid or ferric chloride...did it with the hammer & chisel and punches....trust me on this: if I was confident with the etching technique of removing background I would have used it! That was a pain in the @$$!

If you have never cut one...a Winchester Model 21 is very hard which adds significantly to the time required to execute something like this....lots of sharpening and slow going!

Weldon

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat:Wow, now that looks great! Beautifully done, Weldon:thumbsup: Nice work, especially the top view is my favourite! :beerchug:

TexasTerry

Fantastic work! Just beautiful! It is easy to understand how it would take 700 hours but it was worth it because the results are out standing.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, I am one of those weirdos who LIKES oak leaf (and even gold acorns, every now and then), but this is so far above any such work I've seen in the past, that it should have it's own special designation! Absolutely spectacular old man. The multiple layers of leaves and the sculpting is what lifts this to the level of true design art. Be prepared, this design concept is going to be "borrowed" many times in the future. I might even give it a go on something smaller. (Giving you full credit, of course) :tiphat:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Weldon,Like the Doc I like engraving oak leafs & acorns, they not only look good on sporting arms but they also look good on knifes.You did well on the Winchester 21:thumbsup:keep up the good work. J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors