You might be an engraver if...

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
...you stop to study every scroll you see, from buildings to toilet tissue wrappers.
...you get blank stares when you answer the question "What do you do for a living?"
...your tools have mysterious bits of scrollwork decorating them.
...you don't see anything strange about working for days on something the size of a postage stamp.
...you find graver geometry far more interesting than what's on television.

Feel free to add more :cool:

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
...you suddenly get plaque on your ivories, when someone says "This gorgeous piece was engraved by laser!"
...you imagine one or two hours are just a few minutes.
...your best friend is the little fly under the scope, which came along from time to time.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
....When your wife says "If you get off that stool and take out the garbage, you'll enjoy the exercise"
....When your married kids come home to your studio and say "when does mom get home from Norway" and you say Oh I thought she went to the grocery store.
....When you wife says "my parents warned me you'd never amount to anything"

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
-when people comment on the "interesting" doodles you draw on restaurant napkins...

("...your best friend is the little fly under the scope, which came along from time to time." -has anybody else ever had a spider walk across your work under the scope? luckily, spiders don't bother me, but it still made me jump a little.)

Last edited:

KenB

-when you look at your copy of "Steel Canvas" while wearing a head loop and keep tilting the book to see the top of that 1911 by Winston Churchill on page 309
- when your wife comes downstairs at midnight and asks if you are OK because the compressor hasn't kicked on for awhile

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
...you don't have any fingerprints on your left index finger from "flicking" those chips that 30 years ago you knew not to flick but still do.
...you keep a short haircut so you don't get "helmet head" as bad from an opti-visor.

D.M.

You might be an engraver if... you engrave for a living. You might be not... even if you engrave for a living.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You might be an engraver if... you are familiar with the names L. D. Nimschke, Cuno Helfricht, Gustave Young, Lynton McKenzie, James B. Meek, Sam Alfano, Mike Dubber, Chris DeCamillis... (just to name a few)... and you know what an acanthus scroll is. :confused:

Sam

Staff member
You might be a beginner engraver if you've ever turned a $500 gun into a $200 gun with poorly designed and executed scroll.:eek:
(yup...been there done that)

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You might be an engraver if you scratch for a living while woodcarvers just chip away!
You might be an engraver if you're always trying to find the perfect cutting angles!
You might be an engraver if you know who Sam Alfano is and visit the Engravers Cafe several times a day!

Last edited:

RedfordTrails

Then use 3/4 of a starter kit for four letters.

kguns

If you fall asleep sitting at the scope and it's all thats holding you up.

You might want to be an engraver if the Yellow Brick Road ends in Emporia.

You might be an engraver if you only buy one type of mechanical pencil that hasn't been manufactured since 1978 and are only sold by collectors.

You might be an engraver if breaking a hammer hurts more than loosing a lover.

You might be an engraver if that's all you've ever done, you rarely make enough money, you know you'll never make any real money, and you still don't care if you ever do.

You might be tired of being an engraver when somebody sez . Scratchin costs that much! or can you fix up Grand Daddy's shotgun or can I shoot it before I buy it, or if it only had gold inlays, or if only it didn't have gold inlays, or if those quail were ducks, or if I could only smack you on the head with this little hammer you'd know what a Putz U R

You might be an engraver if your wife points out all the mistakes in that last job, and she's right, and you know she's right.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you might be an engraver if you finish a buckle, hand it to the client to inspect. then she holds it upside down, and says, " my word, that is really beautiful work" :confused:

Sam

Staff member
You might be an engraver if your family eating nothing but ramen noodles for the next 3 months is a reasonable tradeoff for getting that used Zeiss microscope you've been lusting for.
You might be an engraver if you buy those little tins of mints just to get the can.
You might be an engraver if you can sculpt steel acanthus leaves, inlay complex gold figures, shade like master, but fail miserably at simple tasks like remembering to take out the garbage.
You might be an engraver if you MUST have Tam O'Shanter stones because the name is so freakin' cool, even though synthetic stones make far more sense.
You might be an engraver if you MUST have oil of wintergreen for graver lube because some old engraver used it 95 years ago, even though it stinks like truck stop restroom disinfectant.
You might be an engraver if you know the names L.D. Nimschke, Rudolph Kornbrath, Gustav Young, or Joeseph Fugger, but don't remember the name of that guy who starred with what's-her-name in whatever that movie was you saw last week.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
...if somebody mentions Winston Churchill and a few sentences later you realize they're talking about the British Prime Minister...

Latest posts

Sponsors