Cheap, cool, small headed, bright gooseneck lamps

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I found these in a post yesterday on a machining forum. I drove to Atlanta to get 10 of em'....!

They are LED so there's no bulbs to break or change and the card next to them said if they were used 5 hours a day, they'd last 10 years as far as lifespan.

They are not available online according to the Ikea page so you have to go to an actual store. They had white, silver, pink, black, and red. I didn't get any pink or red ones... This beats the heck out of paying 80 bucks for a gooseneck light whose head is larger than you'd like and has a hot halogen bulb. These are small and don't get hot.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'm glad you brought this up, Tim. A couple of my students bought LED lamps at Staples for $16 ea while I was teaching in KS couple of weeks ago. LED technology is getting brighter and cheaper by the day it seems. For 10 bucks these Ikea lights look fantastic. I also like the clamp model for $14.99.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
speaking of LEDs- with the magnifying lens removed, these work great for use with a microscope:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21264&filter=led

the larger ring illuminates a broader area (better for working on curved surfaces) than those made specifically to mount right on the scope objective and are much less expensive. yes, you can find this type cheaper (not that these are exactly pricey @ $60), but these are the best & brightest i've found. they also come with batteries, an AC adapter, and a clamp base if the integral magnetic base doesn't suit your set-up.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a couple of those $9.99 gooseneck lamps from Ikea for artwork. They work great and you can't beat the price!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello Tim,
Enjoy your new little gooknecks, they are great.
Katherine Plumer used them to light her FEGA table about 6-7 years ago and put me on to them.
Have used them ever since around my engraving bench and they have held up well.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i'd completely forgotten about this old thread. just a couple months ago a friend gave me one of these exact units- said he bought 6 of 'em and gave away a few! so far i've found it most useful for examining various parts of my aging dogs- ears, etc. the tiny lamp head lets me get pretty close in line with the light beam and the flexible gooseneck can be pre-positioned while i wrestle with a squirming Jack Russell.

CarbonLight

I have been using two of those little gooseneck. I started with one and found that I needed a second one to remove shadow. They give me enough light to work with optivisor
Engraving equipment small.jpg

Danick

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They are good lights. I have two on my engraving bench for lighting from two sides and one on my modeling bench for close work, like wiring an engine.

Sponsors