French escapade

en2siastic

I didn’t have any plan for this past week end. Friday at noon I was watching the French news on TV, when the journalist presents a subject about the knife making town of Thiers in France and their international knife show held on May 12 and 13. It sounds good to me. I call my wife Jasmine, she is going. I call my mother; she’ll keep my daughters….

Saturday morning, six o’clock we are leaving Belgium for an 800 kilometers trip. Four hours later we are in Paris and then we go south, en route for Clermont-Ferrand.

In the afternoon we drop our bag in our room at the Campanile Motel.

The weather is warm, it is time to relax and have a gentle walk in the historical center of Clermont-Ferrand.
On the right of the Cathedral there is a little place with restaurants and their terrace and it is also time to sit and have the evening meal.

Jasmine will have a black wheat galette with blue cheese, pears and almond, and I’ll have a black wheat galette with Coquille Saint Jacques and curry sauce. Of course the little rosé wine of the place. The dessert will be a flat cake with ice cream, caramel and rum and for me a flat cake with vanilla ice cream, orange marmalade and Chantilly cream.

Next morning, let’s go to Thiers, just a 30 kilometers drive from Clermont-Ferrand. The old town is amazing, anchored to the mountain, the streets are narrow. It is Sunday, but all the knife maker stores are open as well as the museum of knife.

Let’s go to the show held in the valley. 106 talented exhibitors and then something sounds familiar, a kind of tic tic tic , Lol. It was the GRS stand with Steve DUNN performing is engraving and asking me : do you want to try ? YES of course. So I engraved my first line with the GRS machine, of course my try was to short to explore all the possibilities of the machine, but my first impression is very good, to compare both technique, I would say that my hammer engraving is much more violent.

Well many thanks to Steve DUNN for his talent and his kindness.

It was a wonderful week end !

Best regards.

Francis.

Attachments

• IMG_0875_WEB.jpg
    IMG_0875_WEB.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0877_WEB.jpg
    IMG_0877_WEB.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0880_WEB.jpg
    IMG_0880_WEB.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0881_WEB.jpg
    IMG_0881_WEB.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 134

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for the report and photos, Francis. I worked that show the last 2 years and had a great time in Thiers. I'm glad Steve Dunn was there. He's a very nice guy and excellent engraver. / ~Sam

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Francis,

Thank you for your report of Thiers Show.
I hope to meet you there next year . I was in Thiers Saturday and I’ve seen Steve Dunn . He’s a nice guy. His talent, as his length, is very impressive! :)
He has engraved a very beautiful plate with a Drakkar boat and octopus.
I’ve get a try of the Gravermach , very nice tool indeed . Thank you Steve, my English is as poor as my engraving, and you’ve been very patient, trying to explain me your art. I’ve really enjoyed your lesson of gold inlaying.
Francis, have you seen the old knives of Thiers Cutlery museum? Here are a couple of these engraved knives .

Greetings

Jean

Attachments

• Resize of IMG_1617.JPG
    Resize of IMG_1617.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Resize of IMG_1616.JPG
    Resize of IMG_1616.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 62
  • Resize of IMG_1656.JPG
    Resize of IMG_1656.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 55