Spatial reasoning versus driving skills

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As engravers we do a lot of spatial design, trying to incorporate borders, scrolls , game scenes , initials, monograms into a multitude of odd shapes. After awhile we get to where we can see how things will fit together on the object with little or no drawing involved. That's a given.

Now I drive a lot, and to be honest, I like to drive fast and feel the road, and am always judging distances ahead of me, trying figure the best lane to be in to pass slower moving vehicles , even if they are a mile ahead and moving at different speeds in different lanes. Obviously this only works on interstates that are three lanes or higher. But its a game I play a lot, and I am pretty good at it for the most part. Also in the parking lot, I am real good at whipping my car around other vehicles or light posts or whatever obstructions and knowing how close I can get my bumper to theirs without making contact. So much so that it often scares my passengers, (wife included in the list). Okay, I have fondness for 740/940 Volvo wagons, have had four over the last 9 years, two of which are still daily runners, so I have a LOT of familarity with that vehicle and should have good spatial reasoning in those vehicles just from familarity alone.

BUT, last week we bought a 98 GMC Suburban. Quite frankly to me it like being on sailing ship sitting up high and steering down the highway. It's a total different driving perspective, sitting much higher, longer nose, wider nose, different view out the windsheild. But I was driving it around a parking lot, pulling up and turning around, and as well as my passenger, I was somewhat scaring myself, but yet, I continued because I "knew" I had clearance. I was thinking on this, and was wondering if the spatial logic from engraving was transferable into driving skills...... Anybody have any thoughts on the subject?

Degs

Elite Cafe Member
I wonder if that works the other way round...:confused: ..... I hate driving, maybe if I drive more I'll become a better engraver :D I have visions of being stopped, wizzing around a car park and trying to explain that "I'm trying to improve my engraving".......:eek:

Degs

Abigail

Administrator
Ohhhh....wow. I can say with quite certainty that being a good driver has no bearing what so ever on whether on not one is an accomplished engraver. Also, having a sense of direction doesn't seem to be necessary in the field of engraving either. Ummm ...atleast that is what I 'hear'. I'm not speaking about anyone I know directly...no..ofcourse I'm not. No way. Nope.;)
Cheers,
Abigail

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Ohhhh....wow. I can say with quite certainty that being a good driver has no bearing what so ever on whether on not one is an accomplished engraver. Also, having a sense of direction doesn't seem to be necessary in the field of engraving either. Ummm ...atleast that is what I 'hear'. I'm not speaking about anyone I know directly...no..ofcourse I'm not. No way. Nope.;)
Cheers,
Abigail

Yeah, well I drive like you cook. So there!
Husband

AllanFink1960

"...I drive like you cook..."

At my house that would mean going mach III with my hair on fire...excuse the allusion to Top Gun.
interesting visual imagery tho, with a red-headed chef in the house. Heh.

Now if I could just drive like she cooks....or better, if I could ENGRAVE like she cooks...

Abigail I cannot express in words the charm you bring to igraver.com...Keep it comin.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Alan: It's not secret that Abigail's not a cook. She's smart, talented, beautiful, and charming, but an absolute train wreck in the kitchen. When I have to leave town I put that yellow police tape across the kitchen to keep her out. No telling what might happen if she tried to use a stove without supervision. / Sam

Abigail

Administrator
Alan: Thank you so much. I really enjoy hanging out with you guys here in the cafe. :) One of these days I'm going to get brave enough to go in that studio down the hall and sit at the student bench and see if I can scratch some lines on one of those practice plates. Maybe by reading all of these threads and posts I am learning something in the meantime.

Sam: What am I going to do about all of these pies I'm supposed to be baking for the engrave-in at Scott's??
Now they will all know when I show up with pies that I didn't cook them...or bake them...or whatever it is you do to a pie.;)

Cheers,
Abigail

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
well you all are making a train wreck of my seriously posed question.

But Abby, you are welcome to some basic engraving instruction anytime, at my house or in Kansas you just come on. I won't let that big bad Sam make any comments that might upset you.

And you just bring them pies on.

oh and I'm aware that Sam is directionally challenged. Maybe all that engraving work has reversed the polarization of his internal compass . I hear that GPS have a built in chip that refuse to work when they recognize Sam at the wheel.

Last edited:

Abigail

Administrator
Scott,
I think the last time Sam was in Kansas..or maybe the time before, he was fortunate enough to hitch a ride with another GRS instructor (I won't mention any names) to the airport. He said after being on the interstate for over an hour, they realized they were headed in the wrong direction. I have to wonder just how many times these guys have made this trip to the KC airport from Emporia over the years. (Let's see....atleast 5 times per year times 6 years = atleast 30 times...and that is just Sam's total...) Needless to say, he missed his scheduled flight home and had to wait for another flight back home.
No harm done, and I enjoyed the opportunity to tease him once again about being directionally challenged. After this incident though, I have wondered if maybe all engravers were a little directionally challenged. I mean, he wasn't alone. TWO of them were in the car driving in the wrong direction. LOL :D :D
Is it something deep inside your psyche that has to do with symmetry? "East is the same as West"...Is it because you guys are such deep 'thinkers' that little things like 'driving in the right direction' are shoved aside?;)
Maybe it has to do with the fact that creative people use the right side of the brain and logical people use the left side of the brain?
Hmmmm. Alot of questions for so early in the morning.
Cheers,
Abigail

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hmmmmm you scared me there for a moment, since Sam rode with me FROM the airport..... I did leave Emporia once about 3 in the morning, got on the turnpike (which for those who have not been has very few signs of any sort, as opposed to the interstate which is also right there) and knew I was going to miss my flight when after about an hour of driving I saw the sign welcome to OKlahoma.

But I do know a certain engraver and scrimshander that were going to Emporia once and got so wrapped up in talking to each other turns were missed..... not once but twice before they got to their destination and a certain engraver might have been driving..... no names mentioned there either...hmmppph!

Latest posts

Sponsors