Introduction and Info re: Jewelers Certification

Shanna Moran

Hello Engravers! My name is Shanna Moran, I live and work in Midland Texas and have been lurking for some time. I am a Graduate Gemologist, third generation jeweler, past student of Sam's and working engraver (my level is probably somewhere about intermediate/beginner). I mostly work in fine silver, sterling, gold and platinum. To send you some information on the topic of jeweler certification, Google "Jewelers Certification" and you will find the JA web site. There are currently four levels, I believe, for bench jewelers. The site explains some of the required exams and work production for these jewelers. I do know from experience that some of the best technicians at the bench never went through this process and some certified bench jewelers are technically qualified but not as talented as others. Thank you Sam, as always, for all you do for the art and for maintaining this forum! Bravo! My best to all you chippers!

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Shanna, welcome. I think your observations are correct in that I think this would be the case even with the best evaluation committee. I understand how important it is to be recognized and honored for our talent, but would it ever really represent the truth as far as the art and the public itself is concerned? I think we would still have the same kinds of engravers with some being better at their marketing skills than engraving. To be recognized as to your level by some authority on the subject is what we need, but just how do you go about creating that authority. Put a bunch of names in a hat, or select those we feel would be unbiased? Bias is a hard thing to over ride, for human nature is more on the side of self preservation, and we would certainly have to get outside of that.................. but then, that is what justice is made of is it not? Thanks for the info. .........Ron S

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The JA of which I am a member is an organization that is somewhat similar to FEGA only on a much larger level BUT not limited to bench people as I like to call us. I do think we deserve a better title, but I've been sitting at a bench so long just like many of you all I can't think of any else to categorize use together. The bench certifications are based on mechanical skill level not artistic ability. It would be hard to categorize artistic ability if not impossible. I think that's what drew me to engraving there are very few boundaries. There are many mechanical aspects to engraving but the finished product is the artistic ability, e.g. guys like you Ron and Sam and many others could end up with something beautiful and very artistic using a frickin nail. You can certify some one and I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but you can't certify an artist. The artists certification comes from the heart, the tenacity, the ability. It's a shame most artists aren't recognized as masters until after their died, but everyone already knows that.
Just my thoughts
Mike

Latest posts

Sponsors