working on inlays

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Since I'm starting to work on inlays, a question has arisen: with what do I scrape down the inlay so it's flush, before using stones????
Thanks!
:handpiece:

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Use a scorper or flat. I like to make mine from metal that is harder than the gold but softer than the metal the gold is inlaid into, to reduce scratching of the piece. People with better control than I use whatever is handy.

Here is an excellent summary of the steps and tools involved in inlay:

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?6902-Gold-Inlay-Tool-Survey

Mike Fennell

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you have a rolling mill (or just access to one) you can roll a penny down a bit and then grind/file one end flat to make a nice scraper.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Cloudy

I'm not sure what others do but sometimes I scrape an inlay down a bit...............very carefully. It depends on if there is a lot of bulk to get rid of.

Cheers
Andrew

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hi Cloudy ... a piece of square or round brass stock that fits into a GRS quick change and sharpened as a flat works well but requires frequent sharpening. Using a microscope for accuracy, a #40 HSS flat with the corners knocked off. For any nicks in the steel, a sewing needle, (with the tip rounded off) held in a mechanical pencil, makes a nice burnisher to be used prior to stoning. Glad that you are using stones .... use 600 or better but just as it becomes flush, finish it off with paper as it cleans up the inlay without scalloping it. Have fun :thumbsup:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris - thanks for the tip about turning a needle into a fine burnisher. Todd Daniels gave me the tip about taking a fine ball point pen, using an ultrasonic to clean the ink out of it and using that as a small burnisher. Good to have another option.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can also use a tine from a cheap stainless steel fork. Grind it like a flat.
I personally use just a regular old flat. Just take it down as far as you feel comfortable without maring the base metal, then go to your stones.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors