Great company here, glad to find

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sorry, didn't realize that was going to be so long............eeek! I take it back.......

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
One of my brothers is a glassblower and former member of the weavers guild and the woodcarvers guild. When he put together a group of artists, scupltors, blacksmiths, weavers etc. to buy a building in which to create and display their wares, they incorporated under the name "Guild by Association, Inc.."

Mike

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Ron, thank you. I think your general thought is right on.
To me, applying the term FEGA Master Engraver to some people, myself included, who may have reached journyman level by completing the Certified Professional requirements is misleading the public.
No question, some plain member and some Certified Professionals are Master class.
But not all who are now Certified Pro's are of that caliber, IMO.
Like I said in my previous post I think we are swimming against the tide against a done deal.
I just hope it does not lower FEGA to the level of another razzle-dazel marketing outfit in the eyes of the knowing and unknowing public.
I think a slightly better way of handling this would be to send a list of Cert Pro members names out with the next Engraver as a ballot and let all members vote up or down on each name.
Then in the future when someone completes Cert Pro requirements their name can be sent out for a vote after two years. And any standing C.P. who did not make the cut before could ask to be re-voted.
And while I'm at it I may as well make myself totally unpopular.
I think that those that accept the FEGA Master title should pay $50.00 more dues than a Certified Pro.
Only fair, the C.P. now pays more dues than the regular member.

Watch out Ron, I can see the waves rolling over both of us on this subject.
I write this here because there is never enough time to go into detail at the FEGA business meeting.
Sam, thanks for the Cafe and please excuse me for washing the laundry on your dime.
Best, John B.

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Hello all, I have a suggestion to make regarding this subject: when all is said and done after the meeting(s) take place about designating who is what, when it is finalised, a formal letter or notice ought to be sent to all gun magazines and maybe the better auction houses too, regarding your decisions. With FEGA being the designator and issuer of what levels of skill an engraver may have, it would clarify and confirm this fact to the public in general, as well as to writers, and auction houses. Not only would this give added publicity to FEGA, it would also give credibility and value to work presented for publication or for sale. This could easily be referenced by them by contacting FEGA.
Just a thought, FWIW.
gailm

Dennis Sprague

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Guy's
This is a very interesting discussion,with many good point's.
Sam had asked about the Jeweler's of America testing program.Having taken the
Master bench test I would like to tell you a little about it. There are four levels of
testing in the program,from bench technician to master bench jeweler.Each one testing
certain skills needed in a jewelery repair shop.
To take the Master test you have to take a prerequisite test first.It is a four and a half
hour test and consist of three task.Once you have passed that, you are sent your master's test.It has three task,In each one you have a certain amount of metal and stone's and a description of what to fabricate.You have twelve hours to complete each task.You can take the test at your own bench with a proctor to record your time and watch your test,or you can take the test at a JA test site if you wish to travel.
When you complete your bench test,they will send you a written exam.Once you complete everything, your proctor will send your test back to Jewelers of America where they will send it to a approved testing site.YOU WILL NOT KNOW WHO GRADED YOUR TEST. The test takes forty one hours to complete,if you don't have to retake any of the task.They grade everything from solder joint's to prong angle's I don't use the term Master very often,but I am proud to be the second person in Louisiana to have passed this testing.
Dennis

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for confirming what I had heard about the JA Master's test, Dennis. I have heard that it's a tough one to pass, and if you're not a master class jeweler you simply don't have a prayer. With this type of certification, an employer knows exactly what he or she is getting when they hire a Master Jeweler, and a certified Master can demand a higher salary.

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
I withdraw my question !!!

WOW i dont know who brought this post back to but i would like to withdraw a stupid question i ask over a year ago.

Mack

Elite Cafe Member
Oh heck no! This has been one of the most interesting threads ever and you brought up something I, and I am sure many others have wondered about. Thanks for asking the question. Mack

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Griff, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people who don't ask questions.

There have been some very stimulating comments on this subject and I am sure many benifited from the magnificent ideas. So...............

Don't hold back.......ask away.

If you withdraw the question, I have to withdraw my answers and comments.:)HeeHeehee

Ron S