Help, please: How to succed in engraving arts

rostaprchlik

Dear,
I do not know whether the engraving work is so good that I could push through to win customers, and steady cash flow through the work that I enjoy. That's why I started my profile here, so I passed other people their opinions on my work and maybe give me some help with launching the career. Please review my own work. I'll be glad to receive any opinion, advice for each and every offer for cooperation also:-D
Rosťa Prchlík
Umnělecký engraver
Czech Republic
00420731943395 (+420731943395)

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How do you make a small fortune engraving? Start with a large fortune... :eek:

rostaprchlik

Hi Rosta, You need to put up a web address so we can see some of your work.

Rod

The error is that it is so few orders that I have not got enough creations to me at the site could start something. In short, I do not have enough images of my work from the current time :( Some photos of my work you can find on my profile...But it is unfortunately, almost all..

Andrew Biggs

Hi Rosťa and welcome to the forum

I looked at your photos and you seem to have the right idea. The main thing that you seem to need is a bit better sense of design and some finesse with attention to the detail. All of those things time and practice will take care of.

As for making a career of it..............first you have to get reasonably good at it. Then you have to put yourself out there and market yourself and your skills.

Perhaps you could tell us a little about yourself. Have you had any training for engraving? Are you self taught? What sort of tools do you use? How long have you been engraving? Do you engrave only guns? Do you want to engrave anything else?

Cheers
Andrew

rostaprchlik

Hi Rosťa and welcome to the forum

I looked at your photos and you seem to have the right idea. The main thing that you seem to need is a bit better sense of design and some finesse with attention to the detail. All of those things time and practice will take care of.

As for making a career of it..............first you have to get reasonably good at it. Then you have to put yourself out there and market yourself and your skills.

Perhaps you could tell us a little about yourself. Have you had any training for engraving? Are you self taught? What sort of tools do you use? How long have you been engraving? Do you engrave only guns? Do you want to engrave anything else?

Cheers
Andrew

Branch Art engraving I studied four years in high school COPT Uhersky Brod. It is the only school with that field in our country. I do not think is bad, but certainly no more experienced people, who could better teach young engraver. Basic things were explained to us but we are taught to practice alone trial - a mistake. At a time when I studied, I was among the top 2 (I do not want to sound like bragging, it's not meant to), but due to lack of orders is a problem with improving. After graduation, I worked up to 5 orders over 4 years each on average for 2500 CZK (approx. 150 USD) ... and it is today, ordinary people seem too much. The people who can afford to buy what they like - regardless of price, unfortunately I have no contacts. Such is why I asked for help here. Tools I use ordinary, I have no Graver max or anything like that. I do everything using only hammers and diggers. I also thought the production of custom wedding rings, but unfortunately I do not have enough money for basic equipment and the like.I worked on some Zippo lighters also, but even after this is our low demand and very little income. As my colleague said earlier, start with something big is not a problem but a problem arises when searching for a man who has this interest. I hope I answered everything, I am very glad that you are trying to help me and communicate with me. thank you (and i´m so sorry for my bad english:confused:)

Andrew Biggs

Hi Rost'a

Thanks for all that. You have an interesting background :)

There's nothing wrong with hammers and chisels (diggers) as some of the best work in the world is still done that way. You seem to have the cutting skills and the right idea. What you need is more practice.

The best way to get customers and make a living from engraving is to get really good at it. And even then that will not guarantee success because you must also have some business skills. But don't worry, they will come with time.

To get really good at it requires a lot of practice on personal projects. Engrave everything and anything that you can to improve your skills. Another important thing is to get good study material like photos of excellent work. Practice combined with your observation skills will take you a long way.

There are some excellent tutorials on the forum at this link http://www.igraver.com/ Practice them so you can become a better engraver and do some basic engraving patterns easily and fast.

You can try to make some money by doing a lot smaller jobs that require a lot less time. Things like initials on jewellery or even pet tags. Try and demonstrate your engraving skills at shows or give a demonstration at a gun club or something like that. You have to put yourself in front of the customers.

Your English is fine and can be understood easily enough :)

Cheers
Andrew

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Rostaprchlik,
" How to succeed in engraving arts? "
I have asked the same question, myself.
You need to develop some contacts in your area for support and guidance.
With a sample of your work go meet every gunsmith, jeweler, wood carver, glass engraver, etc. within 50-100 miles of you.
Volunteer your services in exchange for their help and guidance.(offer to sweep the floors and empty the trash)
Find some mentors who will share their wisdom and experience with you.
Today, the greatest resource for learning is the internet. The Engraver's Cafe is filled with tutorials, tips & tricks from engravers around the world. It is FREE.
Practice on inexpensive knives, floor plates, coins, jewelry, etc.
You can sell your engravings on eBay and ship worldwide.
To make a living as an engraver takes years to learn and develop the talent and skills.
You are young and have your whole future ahead of you. Enjoy the journey.
Take Care,
Stephen

broncob

......and Rostaprchlik don't think that EVERY American engraver is rich man with fancy car, fancy yacht, purty ladies around him working only one month a year!

Forgat that!! Work - just bloody work!!

Good luck bro !!! :hammer: :handpiece: