Sandra Brady

Hi Everyone, I have an order that I am researching , and I need some help. My customer described an elephant hunt scene from the 15th or 16th century. He read about this hunt in a book on hunting. He mentioned Wilbur Smith and Sir Samuel Baker as possible authors. It could also be in a book written about Teddy Roosevelt. The problem is, my customer is fuzzy on the details and the book he read it in. So here is what I have to go on: It's an elephant hunt, conducted by Moors or possibly Muslims? One person is on horseback (arabian horse), and generally gets the attention of the animal, while another brave (or stupid) soul comes around to the rear of the animal and hamstrings him with a sword. So I was wondering if anyone out there has maybe read of such a hunt. If so what was the book? or do you have any other details that could help me. I would like this artwork to be as accurate as possible. But I don't know if this is an Indian elephant hunt, or African, the style of dress that the hunters may have worn, the style of sword that would have been used etc... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Sandy

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think that is a story in African Hunter or Kermit Roosevelt's book. I will look when I get home. I have both on my engraving shelf. If someone else knows please answer. I will be able to look late tonight.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Check out http://www.old-print.com/mas_assets/full/3761866276L.jpg. I believe it is exactly what you are looking for. Maybe?

If that is it, I believe the guy on foot is a beater scaring the elephant towards the hunters. It looks more like a club than a spear. It is an 1866 print of a hunt in Niger, Africa.

Arabs used salukis and greyhounds to hunt, but I am not sure they were used on elephants.

Last edited:

Sandra Brady

So Do you think these guys are Moors, or Arabs or what?
I have in mind to have the rider with his back to the viewer, so his mode of dress is important.
Is there any description for that? or at least a nationality?
The rider will be closest to the viewer, and the elephant charging toward the rider. then leaping out of the brush behind the elephant will be the man with the sword.
I really appreciate that you guys are taking time to help with this.

Sandra Brady

Gert, thanks, These are great references.
The 16th is really helpful for clothing. I think I will be able to use this one. Would you have any idea the nationality of the riders?

The 18th is really interesting because it says that it is a scene from America. To my knowledge, there have never been any elephants native to this continent since the extinction of the Mammoth.
Sandy

Latest posts

Sponsors