Help, please: Printer Tranfers by Acetone

lesholmes

Elite Cafe Member
My Dell color laser would not work at all. On this forum I read about the Samsung ML-1600. It works very well. I use it for all my design transfers and most of my day-to-day printing. I recommend it highly.

Regards,

Les Holmes

RedfordTrails

Thanks for all the input! The amount of applied heat from printer to printer is an interesting point. It probably is why older printers seem to work better.

Anyways my last update is what worked. I'm going with those methods for acetone transfers. I was able to see clearly enough to cut the image out, though I did it all without referring back to art and saw at the end I had some confusion to touch up. It would be a good Idea to keep a copy of the print near by for reference and a pencil or scribe to draw in some missing parts.

So hopefully later this week I will get a chance to try baking paper and the damar varnish method. I'd like to put these two methods head to head and see which one gives better results. Any thoughts on which is better?

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

I use Delmar 20% to 80% naptha (zippo lighter fluid) and add a few drops of Testors hobby paint (white) (only paint that uses naptha as a thinner).

Paint on the mix and let it get tacky then burnish on the transfer that is on the bakers parchment paper.

Print on a laser printer (HP) (your transfer on paper). cover the printed paper with bakers parchment paper and reprint it (use scotch tape).

These give the best transfers for me.

I also use a mix of Shellac, White Bin's paint(Primer) (few drops) and denatured alcohol. (also works great).

AirAmp

Last edited:

RedfordTrails

Tried Parchment and Damar and I like it much more than the acetone transfer method! Results and consistency are WORLDS above the acetone method. Sure it does take a solid 3 to 5 more minuets to do, but WOW. Well I can finally move on to something other than hundreds of transfer attempts.

Final method

Apply DAMAR VARNISH very thin and let tack.

Lay image ink side down on BAKING PAPER, onto metal.

Burnish and remove.

Done

Last edited:

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
If you find that the transfer is flaking off just spray with some cheap hair spray and that helps too.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
AirAmp,

Is this the correct Zippo friendly white hobby paint?

http://www.amazon.com/TESTORS-ENAMEL-HOBBY-PAINT-WHITE/dp/B000UIEX6Y

I have also found, over the years, that water soluble 'Chinese White' applied with a little spit will form a tenacious white surface that acts as a kind of blotting paper, which can be useful if, say you use an acetone transfer, maybe adding too much acetone which risks having the design bleed and run. The Chinese White surface blots up excess fluid and saves the design from running?

thanks!

Rod

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Rod,

Yes that is it. Testors trys to sell you the thinner and charges a bit for a small bottle.

When I was making rockets for my for my nephews i used a airbrush and that is when I needed a cheaper solvent/thinner.

Testors thinner is nothing more than naptha (zippo lighter fluid).

I have never used a acetone transfer method since it just makes no sence to me.

Laser printers use a plastic toner and it bakes(heats or fuses) though the fuser the plastic to the paper.

If you take common plastic and put it in acetone it melts... (so that is why the transfer bleeds and that is how it transfers).

With baking parchment in a laser you are making a decal that is easy to pull off the paper (almost 100% transfer).

The testors white just gets rid of the glare (helps a bit) and makes the decal stand out.

check my thread.

The spit to clean off the metal really works better than anything else (i just love that old school method of cleaning).;)

AirAmp

Last edited:

Sponsors