Cantle Concho

bitmaker

I know my photography stinks, but maybe you can see this good enough to give me some advice. Thanks for you're time.
Jim

Attachments

• cantle concho 003 crop.JPG
    cantle concho 003 crop.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 242

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim, from what is detectable, the work looks OK, but you can't see it well enough to critique it. Try getting outside on a cloudy day to photo it, or get under a sheet in daylight outside. That will cut some of the glare and you will get some decent pictures. Sorry I couldn't help more............
Ron S

bitmaker

The picture got messed up when I shrank it to fit the proper size for e-mailing. Maybe this one is better. The light is funky, but it might be more clear.

Attachments

• cantle concho 011 c.JPG
    cantle concho 011 c.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 131

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Bitmaker, it is a nice looking concho, but one thing I would change(this is just my opinon, worth what it costs) is the scroll layout. On items that are somewhat symetrical, I like to make the design symetrical as well, it keeps it from looking random. Just something to think about for next time. Still the concho has a nice look overall. Brian

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In my humble opinion, the design needs more symetry(sp). The eye is confused when looking at it, doesn't seem to know where to look next.

bitmaker

Norm,
The way I formed this concho is with a urithane pad, and a 20 ton press. I cut the shape I want out of plexi glass with a jewlers saw and then place the material to be domed between the plexi glass die and the urithane. In this case I used 16 ga sterling silver that I engraved before doming. It's a lot easier to engrave on the flat and doming in the press does not distort the engraving. I then press it to about 20 tons, depending how much dome you want.
As far as the symetry of the scroll design, I'm not totally sure what you mean by that. Maybe you could show me an example. Art is by far not my strong suit. I'm lucky if I can draw my name. My way of thinking was that a floral pattern was depicting flowers and vines and leaves, and in nature thy are pretty random, but maybe I don't understand The whole concept. I greatly apreciate you're input and advice.

webad2006

I'm with you when it comes to understanding all the "rules" of scrollwork, but I think you did a EXCELLENT JOB. I would be proud of it. Hopefully with a little more time, and alot of practice I'll be able to post work like that.

Bill.

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
I also make bits and spurs, we are taught that engraving is last but its not on silver peices, red rouge the peice with an unsewn wheel. then clean with an ultra sonic cleaner or toothpase and an old toothbrush. I think the peice is a good one however you might let your vice dictate the scrolls rather than following your layout lines so close.

Norm

Thanks for the info bitmaker. I'm assuming you can cut the Plexi to just about any desired shape. How thick does the Plexi need to be.

My wife's not going to be impressed with the fact that I now need a 20 ton press!

Keep up the good work!

bitmaker

The plexi glass needs to be as thick as the dome is high. For this concho I used a piece 1/4, So the sides are steep, and the top is flat. If I want a rounded dome, I use a thicker die.
As for the press, I built my own and bought a air over hydralic jack from harbor freight for $50.00. I bet I have less than $100.00 in the whole thing.