gold inlayed somthin somthin...

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Hello again everyone... Here's a few pic's of a practice dog tag tag I whipped out in a record 10 or so hours. This is just practice for a Joe Kious knife I'll soon be working on (hopefully)... It's far from perfect and it's the first time I've tried this type of inlay w background removal.

I'd like know if it's too busy? What can be better? Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

This is also a first for shading gold, man it's like cutting flour. I did learn alot though.

Attachments

• inlay done.jpg
    inlay done.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 198
  • removing background.jpg
    removing background.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 190
  • stippled.jpg
    stippled.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 201
  • done.jpg
    done.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 213
  • close up.jpg
    close up.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 260

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Jeff, this looks fabulous!!!

If I had to be ultra picky the shading could do with a little more definition/darkening towards the base of the leaves so it gives a little more contrast. And, personally, I don't care for the scrolls coming from under a separate leaf as you have in the second layer scrolls (working from bottom to top). I much prefer the way you have the leaf /tendril in the first layer of the design as part of the scroll and not divorced from it. It just looks a little disjointed at that point, that's all. But as I said, this is being ultra picky.

But overall, it's fantastic and if you carry out the same standard of work on the actual knife a) you'll have one hell of a happy client and b) you should have them queuing up for your skills. Just make sure you price the knife right as you don't want to get caught in the 'too cheap' trap which will be difficult to break out of in the future. Better to make a good profit from it and to give the client a bit extra, gratis, at this stage.

well done and BRAVO!

Andrew Biggs

Hi Jeff

That looks a million dollars...........just fabulous!!!

Good luck with the knife. You'll probabley sweat bullets over it but you'll make a great job of it.

Cheers
Andrew

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful design Jeff and well executed, especially when this is your first time on shading gold inlay. I like it. :thumbs up:

arnaud

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You are really doing some exquisite work Jeff.

Hope to see that Kious when you get done.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jeff,
It looks fantastic! And like Marty says, if that was done in 10 hours it is even more amazing! Great work!
Rex

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful Job Jeff!!! Whoever gets that one is gonna really be proud of it!
Thanks for showing,

Dwayne

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The next time you feel like practicing on a dog tag, I can send you a pistol to practice on instead. Very nice. Seth

Sponsors