linux

mhgjewel

Elite Cafe Member
after loosing my mind with microsoft virus i downloaded linux. wow life is great. linux is on a lot of notebooks that are sold.

mrthe

If you like linux i reccomend you in a future buy a mac will change your "cyber life" life

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
other than no longer tearing your hair out, how does that o.s. compare functionally with the stupid pc i flounder with ?

spank7357

Elite Cafe Member
vermilion, ohio (on lake erie) and Inverness, Fla.
Is Linux an "operating system" that is used on Apple products? I keep hearing that the Apple is simpler, more reliable and intuitive system. Anybody got experience with both Microsoft and Apple? I know you gotta dig deeper into your pockets to afford Apple.

Patrice Lemee

Well I guess it technically could be used but why pay more to do something you can do on a PC?
I have a 4 year old Toshiba laptop (Celeron 1.35, 1 gig of memory, 80 gig hard drive) and a guy at work jaw dropped when he saw it working. (He just spent a boatload of cash on a new Apple laptop).
If:
1) money is no problem (Apple)
2) you are a gamer (PC)
3) you only use the computer for basic stuff like email, web surfing and maybe basic drawing/photoshop (Linux)

mrthe

Well I guess it technically could be used but why pay more to do something you can do on a PC?
I have a 4 year old Toshiba laptop (Celeron 1.35, 1 gig of memory, 80 gig hard drive) and a guy at work jaw dropped when he saw it working. (He just spent a boatload of cash on a new Apple laptop).
If:
2) you are a gamer (PC)
3) you only use the computer for basic stuff like email, web surfing and maybe basic drawing/photoshop (Linux)
It's not really i think i use
all this SO and linux it's not the most simple to use,maybe it' the most complicated because you need know unix for a lot of operations and installs.

Patrice Lemee

It's not really i think i use
all this SO and linux it's not the most simple to use,maybe it' the most complicated because you need know unix for a lot of operations and installs.

Sorry but I am not sure I understand your phrasing. :confused:

The last part I get, I think.
Maybe it was true of Linux many years ago but not anymore.
I've been using Ubuntu for a year and I have absolutely no idea about unix.
Just download and burn to CD Ubuntu and you can boot up from it and see what it is like.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

mhgjewel

Elite Cafe Member
it is very easy to cross over from pc to linux. i have run apples they are nice to. my next major computer purchase will probably be a apple only because my cad program only runs with pc and mac. but for my house and with kids that download everything under the sun, i really like linux, and the best part is my wife is not calling me all day long to tell me the computer is crashing and she cant check her email.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
2) you are a gamer (PC)

Very true ...

I might append #1 by adding that the Mac is great if you have absolutely no idea how it works and don't care.

#2 if you're a gamer and enjoy wiping your drive clean & re-installing Windoze every 6 months.

#3 Run Linux if you despise Microsoft products and want complete control of your system.

Linux really shines as a server OS. Once it is configured, it'll run for months hosting web, e-mail, VPN, firewall and Windows file sharing. I've had Red Hat servers run without interruption for over a year.

Latest posts

Sponsors