Rendezvous

nicglass1

ok here is an odd question for some of you... well i guess it's not odd to some, but anyway. does anyone on this forum do the Black Powder Rendezvous? otherwise known and the old time mountain man re-enactments. only reason i am asking is becuase there is one coming up in Raton, NM in a week or so. my parents will be there (i used to go, but since i am older now i don't have the time) and it is great fun for anyone that wants to just drop in and look arond if you are in the area.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Nicglass1,
there are so many ronyvoo's here in Ohio ya can't shake a stick at all of em'.
I shoot monthly but me & sleeping on the ground don' t get along any more.
watch yer' back trail,
Kent

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
I've been into black powder for over 40 years.
A member of the AMM (American Mountain Men) from the late 70s...till it self-destructed a few years ago..............
and now am a charter member of the North American Frontiersmen (NAF)

Went to a couple good rendevous in your area........in So Colorado..

In fact....Black powder what really got me into engraving.....
I figgered..... Hell, I'm makin an doin everything else (guns, knives, including HD Buildin, Paint & Parts)..why not engrave too....after all it's just an extension of the rest of the things I do. :)
Engraving really isn't all that complicated.....It's basically just getting the lines drawn where ya want...then follow them with a sharp tool.... ( KEY Words........placing the lines where ya want em)............:)

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Nicglass,
I never set up at the Raton, NM rondezvous but have enjoyed it many times while I was teaching engraving at Trinidad College, Colorado.
Trinidad is just over the pass 22 miles north of Raton, NM where the rendezvous is held on the north end of the
Whittington Center NRA shooting grounds, as you know.
Although I never demonstrated there I often invited several of the folks to come and visit the engraving class when the were packed up and heading out.
Your post brings back some good memories shared with fine people there.
Raton is a great get-together, lots to see and good stuff to buy including wonderful fry-bread.
Wish your folks a happy camp.

Best, John B.

Last edited:

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
John......

"Fry Bread.......??"

Kinda kool....... " :)

My wife Robin was known as "The FRY BREAD LADY" all over the South West...Mostly in So Cal Rendevous...

Are you going to be at Scotts ??

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Nicglass1,
I've been rondayvooing for almost 30 years in the East, Ohio, Maryland, VA, WV, PA, NY, and few other states now as I think about it. For the past 13 years I've been engraving in the field as demo and work on site for others. It's still fun but now more work than. Like some of the other 'Ol Timers "Greybeards" I've moved to a cot to get off the ground. Wish I'd been that smart years ago ........a cot gives more storage area per foot. Duh!
Never have made it past the Mississippi though, I hope you find the pleasure of old and new friends. It's a wonderful community of folks. Enjoy!
Mark
www.MarkThomas-graver.com

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hi CJ,
No, I can't make it to Scott's Engrave In this year.
I know you will all have a great time.
Good music, wonderful food and great friends.
Doesn't get much better than that.
Please remember me to all.
Hope you have a great motorcycle class at Ray's.
Your mc engraving is killer good and I bet Robin's fry-bread is too!
Best to you and the gent that's riding down to Scott's with you.
John B.

monk

Staff member
i've been to a few. beats the heck out of sittin around watchin the crt.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Coon 'n Crockett Muzzleloaders

I'm a lifetime member of the Coon 'n Crockett Muzzleloaders Club here in Grand Forks, ND. I used to do a lot of rendezvousing until my body got to achy for most of it. I won some nice medals and ribbons and had a lot of good wholesome fun doing it. I'm still the webmaster for the club's website but that's about it. I got more interested in Cowboy Action Shooting and a lot of the guys in the club followed me into it. :D

I still have all of my stuff if I ever take the notion to do it again. You should try a Chilly Cheeks Rendezvous where you do a winter camp. That'll send the tenderfeet runnin' for their modern modes of transportation.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
CJ,

That's pretty cool. The old-timey black powder is where it all began for me too. I've always enjoyed the Civil War re-enactments .... even as a Yankee living up north I was wearing cadet gray. There's a lot Yankees that wear gray ya know ... more than I ever figured.

I read Sam Fadala's book on Black Powder Hobby Gunsmithing a number of years ago and the chapter on metal embellishment is what sparked my interest in engraving.

Chris

nicglass1

yeah my grandfather started doing it then got the rest of us into going. i haven't been able to go to one in about 8 years thanx to the military and just being plain busy. someday when things settle down i will start going again. and god i got hooked on fry-bread! so much so that i had to marry me an indian woman so that she could make it for me. we just got back from the san carlos indian res a few days ago, we went to see the in-laws, and they had little fry bread stands set up all over the place out there. pure heaven let me tell you. have to watch out though, that stuff will make you fat.

Sponsors