Is there any interest in an iPad/Procreate "round table" after FEGA?

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Several weeks ago I approached Rex with the concept of an informal round table discussion following the formal seminars on Monday, following FEGA convention. At that time we were unaware of the impending GRS course being taught by Sam, our "benevolent dictator", on the same subject. I did not want to cause any ill-will, so I've waited until Sam's course was filled to bring this up.

Is anyone interested in a very informal discussion about the iPad Pro/ProCreate uses? I would love to give my thoughts on the more "painterly" use of the program. We could go over any specific questions or problems anyone is having. I will leave the more specific engraving designs, transfers and other engraving related topics to Sam, who is FAR more attuned to this aspect of Procreate.

I just want to share some of my enthusiasm for Procreate and the fun of drawing and painting with this remarkable program.

If anyone is interested, let me know and don't forget to bring your iPad Pro, Apple pencil and Procreate app to Vegas. Even if you don't have the iPad yet, but were considering getting one, come and see what it can do.

Again, don't take this as any competition to Sam's course. As this will be, at most, an hour or two, which cannot compare to the fantastic in-depth program Sam will have at GRS.

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I am very happy to hear that Sams class at GRS is fully subscribed. :clapping:
Never had a doubt with all the interest in computer aided design.

Brant

Elite Cafe Member
I don't have one yet, but I would attend. I have been doing CAD design for over 10 years, and I think this is a very good direction for engraving design.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark, I'd like to sit in. It means an extra day so it will depend on what is happening at home. Perhaps Sunday after the show closes?

Andrew Biggs

It's hard to believe that a year has rolled around already :)

Yes, Id be keen. My use of Procreate is very utility and I only use it to pencil draw designs and using the ink pen to create outlines for transfers so I've never explored everything else that you can do with it.

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I had made the same offer and a few people are interested so one evening after the show sounds good to me. We just need a large enough area with a TV. I can bring an HDMI adapter. Would love to see your painting techniques Mark.

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
I would like to video the event and get copies of your recorded procreate sessions to put into a DVD for FEGA, if you will agree Mark and Sam.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well this is getting much bigger than I was anticipating. Van, if you really want to video the session, I'll have to get a bit more organized! In order to video working on an iPad, you will need to have a camera on a tripod above the iPad while the work is being done. That is the only way the audience can really see how gestures and "brush strokes" are applied on the screen and the effects they cause. Simply seeing the drawing appear on a screen does not tell the whole story. Anyway, let me know if it is possible to have a direct video output to a video projector in real time, to show the audience.

Originally I had planned to have this session after lunch on Monday following the regular seminars. If an evening after the days' events are over is better, then I see no reason that it can't be done. It would just mean finding a room with a screen.

p.s. Sorry Van, you were posting as I was typing my reply.

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
After the regular Seminars will work.
Sam will the HDMI adapter from the iPad to the projector allow the group to see what the artist is doing on screen?

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Van and Doc,
Usually after the seminars the folks at GRS like to pack up the equipment they have as it is a TON of work. We will have use of the video projector but not sure about a camera. The projector will have a HDMI input. Perhaps the FEGA video cam can be used after filming to project the user and tablet. Many of them have a HDMI output.

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
Would it be possible to do it Friday night after the show closes?
Show closes at 5 pm, everyone could break for necessities and dinner.
then meet up at 7 pm for the round table.
I will get us a space if you will have it.
We will have the FEGA video camera, projector and screen we can use.

Sam

Staff member
Would it be possible to do it Friday night after the show closes?
Show closes at 5 pm, everyone could break for necessities and dinner.
then meet up at 7 pm for the round table.
I will get us a space if you will have it.
We will have the FEGA video camera, projector and screen we can use.

I believe that'll work, Van.

Sam

Staff member
Hello Van and Sam, might be a conflict.
Friday night at 6-10pm is scheduled for the Members welcome reception in the Villa Suite ????

Oops...that's right. Thank you for the reminder, John! Maybe we should just wing it.

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for catching that John!

Lets try this:
Sunday after tear down which runs till 2: Gather at 4 or 5 pm for the round table?
I thought Walk the Strip was Sunday but its Monday according to the schedule:

Sun. Jan 21st
7:00 am - 9:00 am FEGA BOD meeting (Board Room with coffee and tea)
8:00 am ~ 6:00 pm Show open to exhibitors
9:00 am~ 2:00pm Show open to public
2:00 pm Exhibitor Take-down

Mon. Jan. 22nd
Free Seminars, all welcome
9:00-~ Midday ((2nd Level Conference rooms 7-14)
12:00 ~ 1:00 Break for lunch
1:00pm onwards. Show and tell sessions
Bring your bits and pieces for some critiquing and ask any questions.
5:00pm Las Vegas Night Walk (A walk down the Strip for anyone that wants to come and see Vegas by night)

Let me know if this will work and I will start working on a meeting spot.
Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Sponsors