HP Deskjet 1000 printer recommended by Tom White

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tom,

I have to agree with you, this Hp Deskjet 1000 is a very good bargain, and it came with both black and color cartridges. Refills cost more that the new printer with the two cartridges.

I am finding that I get good transfers using the "Epsom substitute" transparencies, called "Pictorico Premium OHP Transparency Film", and probably with Tom's transparencies, too. I have some but not tried them yet.

Whereas Mac computers using Epson printers would not allow a 'black cartridge only' print option, and the "rich black" actually has color ink mixed in, using my Mac with this HP 1000 does give a black cartridge only option. But better than that, the HP 1000 will allow you to remove the color cartridge and still print.... some other printers will stop if only the back cartridge is installed.

I also find that Tom's white transfer solution is more tenacious, and does not need any protection overlay, such as hair spray.

Some time back I went over to laserjet, it is so easy to transfer, but is not as high a resolution as inkjet. Now I have both printers to choose from.

May as well buy two HP 1000 printers while you are at it ... cheaper than a set of spare cartridges, and remember if the printer clogs, you can unpack the second one?

I think that we might just have to consider the inkjet as a consumable item, although it goes against my grain. They all give very good results, if you can afford the ink, but the fine jets might be too fine to not clog up after a short working life.

So far so good.

Thank you for the recommendation, Tom!

Rod

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for the info, Rod. I'd forgotten how good the inkjet method was until I asked Tom for a couple of sample printouts that I could use in my latest video. He graciously sent me a few and I have to say (in fact I did say in the video) that it's the best of all transfer methods. When you have the right printer, sheets, and his solution, you get the sharpest transfers and the transparency sheets make them super easy to position.

Glad to hear you're getting good results with the HP 1000!

~Sam

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good to hear it works well. I had given up on ink jets because of all of the various models. I will give this a try for the price!
For what it is worth, usually the printers come with "starter" cartridges that have much less ink in them. The companies more or less give you the printer so you keep buying the ink from them.

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
On the Mac 10.5 using a Epson C88, I run only black cartridge using refills of UltraII or UltraIII ink from www.inkjetcarts.us. The original black cartridge I got at Cartridge world and is refillable. If your settings do not appear for black only, open the printer utility and select USB connection for the Epson printer.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
peteb,

Thank you for that good tip!

Rex, you are correct, that some starter cartridges that come with a printer purchase do in fact have just a dribble of ink.... shameless! I looked over a google article about this, however, it just so happened that HP is one company that said they do not ship partly empty cartridges, so it would still seem like a good idea for the pocket book to buy two printers when you order, although not necessarily good for the environment. By the way, HP is letting its customers know that this 1000 is designed with a majority of its components recyclable materials.

Rod

Last edited:

Tom White

All,
I am happy to hear the method and printer is working well for all of you.

Tom White

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Going to try the 1010 model no more 1000 model phased out, I have some transparencies that Shawn sent me, Ill keep you guys posted to see how it works. Shawn thanks for the supplies and transfer fluid.

Before you new guys start asking questions, the last post was in 2006. This is just proof that reading old posts really pays off. Make good use of the search function.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
I also use a Deskjet 1000. One thing I learned for good transfers was to be sure to set your graphic program (I use Illustrator) to use a very thin stroke. I use .25 or less on Illustrator. More than that and the lines start running together when you transfer. I was ready to buy a new printer until I figured that out!

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I also use a Deskjet 1000. One thing I learned for good transfers was to be sure to set your graphic program (I use Illustrator) to use a very thin stroke. I use .25 or less on Illustrator. More than that and the lines start running together when you transfer. I was ready to buy a new printer until I figured that out!
David,

I pick up my printer today at Walmart they should have it waiting for me, I usually print using Flexisign pro but I do have illustrator how do I change the stroke feature and what transparencies are you using?

By the way my transfers are only done using the parchment paper method but I think this will work for very precise placement

Thanks

Saludos,
Carlos

Last edited:

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos - don't know about Flexisign but as soon as you open a new page in AI you will see the stroke and stroke weight at the top left in the menu bar. The lowest setting is .25 but you can manually set it even smaller. I use about .15 on most things. I use Pictorico transparency paper.

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
Where do you get this "transparency paper" ? I am going to start doing my transfers with a printer. Right now I have a method that works well but I want to try something new.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos - don't know about Flexisign but as soon as you open a new page in AI you will see the stroke and stroke weight at the top left in the menu bar. The lowest setting is .25 but you can manually set it even smaller. I use about .15 on most things. I use Pictorico transparency paper.
pictorio good that's what i bought some time ago need to find it, over a year ago

Saludos,
Carlos

Toad

Elite Cafe Member
The HP ink cartridge is HP 61. What is the best brand ink cartridge buy? There are so many choices.
Todd

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
The HP ink cartridge is HP 61. What is the best brand ink cartridge buy? There are so many choices.
Todd

If the ink matters it would seem like the best thing would be real HP cartridges. The question then is, does the ink matter? Or is it the film that matters? I've been using Tim's stuff for a couple of years with only passable results using an HP5650 printer and 3M CG3480 transparency film.
When I bought Tim's Elixer I tried every film I could and this one was the only one that gave me anything like a usable result. I'm going to get some of this other film tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If the ink matters it would seem like the best thing would be real HP cartridges. The question then is, does the ink matter? Or is it the film that matters? I've been using Tim's stuff for a couple of years with only passable results using an HP5650 printer and 3M CG3480 transparency film.
When I bought Tim's Elixer I tried every film I could and this one was the only one that gave me anything like a usable result. I'm going to get some of this other film tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.
I would agree why experiment and fail, go with what is proven to work, like was mentioned earlier its cheaper to buy a new one.

Saludos,
Carlos

Sponsors