Graver sharpening video

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I'd like to know, are the videos that GRS sells on graver sharpening based on using the GRS sharpening fixture and power hone or would the information apply for other sharpening methods, specifically the sharpening templates sold by Lindsay?

JIA

Elite Cafe Member
Based on GRS power Hone and the fixture they sell, and you can find some free video for using the templates sold by lindsay.!

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam's video is what I recomend my-self when starting out. After that you will nave the basics of all popular configurations and can invent-Also recommend his transfer video for the same reasons. Fred

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
iGraver.com has sharpening instructions, but not in video format. Also for free, so you have several options.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Fred: I was referring to the sharpening instructions on the iGraver.com tutorial site.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
The video on my site is about understanding what we are trying to accomplish when sharpening and defining some common terms used by most. It is helpful if you don't understand sharpening at all. As far as a comprehensive video on how to sharpen, I would highly recommend Sam's video. The principles and techniques are the same no matter what is used templates, power or fixtures . It's my opinion that starting with a template system will get you on the fast track to not understanding why you are doing what you are doing. Plus if you want to make a small change to a geometry you cannot. also by not learning what the geometries can do you will set yourself up for failure.

Once you have a good understanding of what you are doing then maybe the templates can be faster but that's debatable. The biggest problem the way I see it is that you have only so many choices with a template only system and you have to try to use what might work best. It would be like going to the shoe store to and they say we have these 10 pair of shoes find one that works the best . They may not fit but just make due.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors