Mantis Microscope

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Winston,Theres a jeweler in Florida who uses a Mantis micoscope for his engraving. J.J.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I have a mantis that I used for engraving, but I bought a Ziess which I now use all the time. The Mantis has many good features including accommodating any eyeglasses.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I wonder if you would have to sort of let your eyes go a little out of focus to coaless the stereo vision, like magic eye

Winstonklein

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for the video link. The concept of a single optic is indeed very interesting. However I don't know how it would translate in the real world engraving. still More confused than ever.

Winston.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Tried it back when it first came out. Could not get used to it for engraving.

Did use it for a while on the soldering bench, but that too was not really sucessful...

Guy who bought it from me uses it sometimes to assemble small parts, his wife uses it for beading.

B.

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
Winston
I have a Mantis.....the concept is great but they just don't work for engraving....the Mantis is sold a inspection microscope and no doubt work well on circut boards or other flat objects where the height and magnification remain the same all the time....the Mantis does not have rack and pinion height adjustment for focusing for a object that is being moved around under the scope....Mantis has a spring loaded height adjustment in the mouting arm which does not work well for engraving....the Mantis is not a stereo microscope and it is difficult to judge the depth of a cut....the Mantis is limited to a fixed lense magnification and cannot be zoomed like a standard microscope....I got the Mantis from a jeweler couldn't make it work for him and he had put it in a corner.... basically I'm like him....Its here but all it's doing is gathering dust....

Roger

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It must be stereo...?
I'm sure I see two objective leses, and two images in the viewer. Mind you... I'm only lioking at pictures

Sponsors