Engraving Design on a bigger object

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Trying to lay out a border that is not just a border, but gives you areas to place scroll in that accent or enhance the overall shape and flow of the curves in the piece is the pinnacle of engraving design. It's where you as the engraver try to interpet the makers design a little more subtlely with scrolls and florishes. Trying to get that interior shape for the piece that maintains the feel of overall outline and curves of the perimeter of thepeice is not always easy. Here is an example of that in slightly differnt format, but maybe it emphasizes more what is necessary to those new to this.

This my 1968 Corvair UltraVan , fresh out of the paintshop which as you can see has a few curves of its own, and some design features like the forward windows and windshield that had dynamic lines that had to be followed. The blue field is what I came up with as the area to accent the lines already present on the vehicle. The interior white stripe, the border if you will makes the blue field really have some "snap" against the white. If this was an engraving piece, then the scroll is what be done inside the blue feild, with an accenting border like wheat chaff runing around where the narrow white line is.

More Ultra pics and info is here
http://www.pilkguns.com/fotouv.htm

Attachments

• UValone.jpg
    UValone.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 246

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's a really cool van. I don't think I have ever seen one without the hotdog on top:)
Just kidding it looks good.
MIKE

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thats a very common comment, but I am suprised to hear it from an artist, as this and the Weinermobile look nothing alike. Not even close. It must be something in the way human brain catalogs and organizes percieved shapes not reality. I have often wondered about it.

One of the hazards of driving such a vehicle is every cop is just looking for an excuse to pull you over to ask you, "What the hell is this anyway?". I was on the northbound interstate in SC when a SC trooper pulled me over, cause he thought I might have a low tire (was fine!) and while were standing there talking, he said "There goes your twin brother". And going southbound on I-15 was the real weinermobile. And again I thought, how could you even think seeing them side by side that they look alike, much less are twins.

But it makes me think as teacher, how people percieve and draw different things like scrolls, without really having a understanding of them. I am sure it's part of the left and right hemispheres of the brain functions, but I wish I understood it better. Maybe my next class I am going to design my own Rohrshach ink blots and study my students reactions.

Last edited:

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott is that set up like an RV inside? If the inside is done how about posting some pictures. I truly do like the inovations the car makers attempted in the 60's. I had a 67 GTO, 69 GTO, 65 Riviera, and a 68 Buick Grand Sport I didn't and don't know much about cars but I really liked those things. The Riviera with it's rolling speedometer and huge engine I think it was a 455ci, and the others went fast to fast for a teenager:)
Mike

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, it was originally a full Class A motorhome. At this point I have modified the interior of mine quite a bit for my purposes, and its more of a haul vehicle with small cook surface and fridge, and bed and toilet. And of course the engraving studio up front as pictured in previous forums.

Last edited:

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Motorhome

Yes, Eric is the Canadian you played pool with in Kansas. And he fondly recalls being introduced to Samuel Adams. And a modified interior is grossly understated. Saying it is a engraving room on wheels, is a lot closer to the real truth. I didn't know those things multiplied. It's good to see you still have it and are doing well. Over that past few years I've seen examples of your work in various magazines. One evening in case,
I even pulled out the casts that we made of your knife to show the people present it was truly hand done and a thing of beauty. I see we have similar likes Camp Perry is a place I've always wanted to visit. Eric and I have talked about what you've gone on to do many many times over the past years.

Sponsors