Something from the peanut gallery

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Well, Sam has requested pictures so here's one from a practice plate I did this morning. I'm not about to dazzle anyone but I thought I'ld post and perhaps it will encourage other beginners to do likewise. Lion is cut with a 120. Constructive critique on execution most welcome.

cody

Attachments

• lion.JPG
    lion.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 208

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Cody: Critique? I don't see much to critique except to echo Scott's comment that it's a shame it's on a practice plate (but we all do that). Seriously, it's very good and the cutting looks clean. There are a lot of people out there who would be very pleased to have done it as well. I encourage you to do more and post the photos when you're done. Thanks for showing us your excellent effort. / ~Sam

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
An idea. Is that a 2x2 practice plate? if so, then the design is quite large, try to sizing it down by half and cut it again. Of course you could try that again regardless of what size it was....

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Cody,

Your practice plate is well done...keep up the good work.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts-Manassas

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words. Scott, reducing the size and cutting it again is a great idea. However, in this case, the actual engraving is about the size of a nickel and without a microscope, any smaller would certainly be outside my abilities. Here's the rest of the plate. The lions and butterflies were my first try at transfering images via "transfer magic".

Attachments

• side-B.jpg
    side-B.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 175

Sam

Staff member
Cody: Your cutting is neat, clean, and consistent. I've been using a 'scope every day since 1982, and am a firm believer in them. I hope you'll consider getting one sometime. / ~Sam

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, I appreciate the microscope recommendation. Jerry Huddleston also recommended that I get a 'scope a year or so ago and I almost bought one on two different occations. However, since I only do this for my own amusement , the cost would be purely "out of pocket" with no return on investment and I just can't justify the expense.

Cody

Sam

Staff member
Cody: If this is just playin' around, I'll be anxious to see what you produce when you get serious about engraving. :D :D

jacques herbst

Elite Cafe Member
microscope

what sam said.a scope is a whole new world of engraving.i am the same and only engrave for fun.but we all sould use our talents and just think that some people would pay good money for good engraving.you could be having fun and getting paid for it.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sam's correct. man if you're just doodlin, quit your bleepin day job and get serious. your practice plate looked rather serious to me !

Latest posts

Sponsors