tempering advice needed please

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
Im stumped as to how to go about a project. I want to engrave in a blade then temper the steal after...... previous attemps have been falures due to fire scale. How is this done. Or can someone tell me the name of the "clay" that you cover the upper portion of the blade with to prevent it from hardning so engraving can be done after. I also would love a supplyer for that clay if anyone has one theyd share. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
They make a stainless steel foil for wrapping these blades to protect them from scaling. I suggest you wrap them twice for heat treating. When finished wrapping them squeeze the foil as tight as you can to force out as much air as possible. Practice a lot! Good luck.

Hot Knobs

Elite Cafe Member
Heat treat

Griff, I have knives engraved before heat treat, finish your blade to 400 grit and then do your engraving heat treat and finish with 600 grit on a block, if you don't like the color in the engraving use a brush in the fordom with some boat rubbing compound to clean it up, you must use foil rap double your seams, hammer each one to seal them, put some paper in the envelop to burn out the oxygen. I do this with 440 C ATS 34 and O1 if I can be of more help E-mail me. Will try and post a picture of one I did Deane

Attachments

• P1010019.jpg
    P1010019.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 90
  • P1010024.jpg
    P1010024.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 108

BJREBUCK

Griff,
brownells has an anti scaling compound that works really well. I've used the dry powder type on gun parts for many years with
good results. I have better luck with it than the foil wrap.
Brian

Carlo

Im stumped as to how to go about a project. I want to engrave in a blade then temper the steal after...... previous attemps have been falures due to fire scale. How is this done. Or can someone tell me the name of the "clay" that you cover the upper portion of the blade with to prevent it from hardning so engraving can be done after. I also would love a supplyer for that clay if anyone has one theyd share. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Maybe this http://www.laco.com/productDetail14.aspx will work!

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
For carbon tool steels use Brownells Anti-Scale.Its a powder applied at 500f,it melts and coats the steel eliminating scale and decarberization.For stainless steel you use foil wrap which encloses the steel in a oxygen free enviroment while heat treating.To make a blade with a hard edge,softened back,you must use a non stainless air hardening steel such as 1095,5160,w2,etc.The product most of us use is called satinite.Darren Ellis sells it at Ellis Knife Supply.Foil can be bought at Enco,McMaster Carr,etc.

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
old file makers used a mixture of wheat flour and milk,made into a slurry. just dip in. my teacher taught to make a super saturated solution of borax in boiling water.dip and allow to dry.the japanese use clay,straw ash,powdered charcoal,and sometimes salt.mix into a stiff slurry,apply and allow to dry.you can also quench just the edge,leaving the back soft.dont forget to anneal the edge. God Bless,mike:beerchug: p.s. the japanese method is the one for differential heat treatment.the others(except the edge quench)are for preventing scaling.also you can try bar soap melted on the steel.also,a water quench generally causes any scale to explode off the piece.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i engraved blades for a number of makers. the blades were always sent to me annealed. the makers took care of the tricky stuff like heat treating. however they did it, the engraving never suffered.

Latest posts

Sponsors