FEGA 2010 engraving demonstrations

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here are shots of the two engraving demonstrations I did at the FEGA 2010 show in Reno. One is sculpted arabesque on a floor plate and the other is finely shaded scrollwork in brass.

It was great seeing my old and new friends in Reno. I'm sorry I didn't have much time to spend viewing all of the fantastic displays.

~Sam

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Sam it was delightful to watch you do the practice plates in Reno. It was so nice to see you and Abigail again. Thanks for being a large part of the show.

Wilson Capron

Sam I really like your sculpting. I have been told your jewelry engraving video touches on sculpting but I haven't seen it yet. Is this a good source to learn the sculpting technique process (tools and steps) or the only source that you would recommend? I know your video will be good, just wandering how much you go into the technique? I would like to try some of this on bits and spurs, whether me or my market is ready for it or not.

Thank you for sharing and the help

engravewhat

Thanks

Sam, Thanks for spending your time on the demo, it was a great learning experience. It was also super to meet you for the first time . Thanks Dennis

Sam

Staff member
Thanks everyone.

Mike: I cut all of the design on the brass plate with a common 120 degree graver.
Wilson: I teach the sculpting technique on my jewelry engraving video.

Cheers / ~Sam

Sam

Staff member
You're welcome, Chris. I was hoping you might be coming to Reno. Maybe next year. It's time you know.

Cheers / ~Sam

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, your demo got my juices goin'. I'm spending my afternoon working on my technique. Thanks for the demos.
Kevin P.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam's demos are spellbinding. I had to drag myself away to sit at my table.
They are as good as a short course in the art of engraving and alone make the cost of a trip to Reno worth every cent.
Then you can add in the bonus of alll the beautiful work on display, great sharing, caring people and the wonderful seminars. Lots of bang for your buck.
Best to all and many thanks for all the inspiration.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Sam got the DVD and it is fantastic and one of the best tool I have in the studio...
Thanks for all you share with us...
Jerry

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
GREAT looking work as usual Sam. Some year I would like to attend FEGA and parley it with some skiing at Tahoe:big grin:

Some years back, when I went out west yearly on ski trips, I flew into Reno and as I was arriving, all the FEGA and Safari attendees were leaving. I had NEVER seen so many impressive cases and luggage!

It was snowing HEAVILY, the highway was closed, and the ONLY way to get to Squaw was an alternate route over Mt. Rose. Thought I was DOOMED. All I could see were tailights ahead, headlights behind and WHITE.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, I had never met you before, but I spent a lot of time hanging over your shoulder and asking questions last week. Thanks for your patience and generosity.

I also want to thank Andrew Biggs, John Barraclough, Roger and Carl Bleile and Tim Halloran for taking the time to critique the layouts, drawings and engravings that I just happened to bring along for that purpose. Your advice was and will be very helpful. Scott, I didn't want to break in on your conversations, but some day I will corner you also for an opinion.

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful, generous and friendly. I transferred over from a profession where two egos won't fit in a room and talent is rare, to a profession (engraving) where the talent barely fits, but egos are few and far between. It is a very refreshing change of scenery. I love it.

Mike Fennell

Sam

Staff member
Thanks, Peter :)

Hi Mike. Thanks for watching my demos and I'm glad you enjoyed them. You are so right about the openness and helpfulness of FEGA members. I've been an artist, engraver, and musician most of my life and I've seen my share of ego maniacs. Fortunately in the engraving arts there are now so many excellent engravers that anyone with the big-head looks even more foolish than ever. One of the greatest benefits of Reno and the Grandmasters in Kansas is the open sharing of information by the world's leading engraving artists. They do it in the spirit of the art and in a selfless way. I'm glad you got to experience it :thumbs up: