Critique Request Brand buckle

ken4c

sorry about my poor posting ability Thanks Ken

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
Ken,

It looks really nice to me, I especially like the back. How did you solder on the hardware without tarnishing your bright cuts? And are the leaves kind of sculpted and not shaded with a liner? I can't really tell from the photos.

Great work , thanks for posting it.

Ken

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is VERY nice and the backside is beautiful as well. The back is so nice the owner may never wear it!

filbertius

Elite Cafe Member
That just reminded me of a small art print I once bought, and had signed by the artist. We had visited for a while, and when he signed (on the back), he also added a quick and fairly large sketch. Fortunately the back was removable and could be framed separately - not sure what I would have done otherwise.
Gary

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member
Great buckle, I've got to learn the western bright cut, and as others have said that back is just fantastic as well. It's nice to see "Artist" put that little extra into there work even if it's in a place that's only seen by the owner!!!

Kevin

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is a very nice buckle, and I surely don't have enough credentials to critique your work. Looks sharp, and I especially like the engraving on the back. It flows out really nice. The flower on each end are cool as heck. Thanks for sharing, Seth

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken I would like to have your posting abilitys, but then also your engraving ability's....
Realy nice buckle, the Western Bright Cut is beautyful.
Willem

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Ken, I did send you my address where you can mail that to didn't I? Kidding of course. Really nice work, it's inspired me to try my hand at interlocking bright cut scrolls, the back engraved is a swell touch too. It reminds me of a story my college art history professor told me.

The Elgin marbles (the sculptures that originally adorned the frieze at the top of the Parthenon in Greece and now reside in the British museum) were carved in full relief front to back, even though they would only be seen head on from the ground level as a viewer. It was important to the sculptors not to take shortcuts and go the extra mile even though no one would ever know or see their work on the back sides. I saw the Elgin Marbles in the British museum in 1983 and first thing I did was to look at the back sides and appreciate what no one else was supposed to see, yet it was just as beautiful with attention to care and detail as the front sides of the sculptures. As an artist myself I could appreciate the extra effort.

No doubt that customer will be taking his buckle off more than once to show the back side too. It speaks volumes to your level of detail and thoughtfulness in your work-great job!
Paul

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Gorgeous design and execution, a lot of fun to look at, it just gets more interesting. It's so nice that it isn't totally symetric.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is (was) a famous native American jeweler/lapidary Charles LoLoma who always did something on his work that he told me was especially for the wearer, not intended for the public to see. I had never heard of something like that before. I thought it was very cool.
Kevin P.

ken4c

Thanks for the reveiw on the buckle folks ,i realy enjoy doing western bright cut and always try to do good engraving, but i have to say iv had some great teaching along the way that i give thanks to as well ,im also working on a few new ideas that i hope will turn out good
thanks ken

castagnos&s

Ken you asked for critique so I'll give you my opinion everything looks great but your single point shade lines need to be perpendicular to the scroll back bone and tapered and lighter as you go. superb layout and beautiful work. Mike

Latest posts

Sponsors