Argentium "Ribbon" Bracelet

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's the final product which is the result of my design questions a couple of weeks ago. It is 6"x3/4" argentium silver. Sorry for the quality of the photos. I just can't get the lighting quite right with something this shiny. I used a tent to diffuse the light but it still was not even. I'll spend some time later to set up a really good lighting system if I do some more silver work. This is the second silver bracelet that I've tried. I've got a narrower piece left that I want to do some "flare cut" style on. I'll wait until I attend the lectures in Reno to decide on what I'll try next. I haven't decided to keep it flat until Reno, or put a synclastic curve into it before I get there. It would be easier to put in my pocket while flat, he, he. Those who might remember my initial post on this design will note that I originally planned to put a geometric pattern on the ribbon front face. Well, after studying the design after cutting, I thought that it would look "too busy" so I left the ribbon blank to shine more on a wrist. Any opinions on this decision? My wife is happy with the design, so I guess I've off the hook in that respect. But, let's face it, most everyone is happy with free jewelry.

Any comments and critiques are welcome.

Mark

Attachments

• Ribbon-Bracelet-Sterling.jpg
    Ribbon-Bracelet-Sterling.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 250
  • Ribbon-Bracelet-right.jpg
    Ribbon-Bracelet-right.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 253
  • Ribbon-Bracelet-left.jpg
    Ribbon-Bracelet-left.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 240
  • Ribbon-Bracelet-Closeup.jpg
    Ribbon-Bracelet-Closeup.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 260
  • Bracelet-dedication.jpg
    Bracelet-dedication.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi mark

Very, very nice. I like the way you have trimmed the silver to the edge of the engraving and shaped it..........looks great!!

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Wow! Your wife should be happy with the design. If for some reason she changes her mind, send it to me my wife would love it. This design is fantastic, you have given me some inspiration for some designs to do for my friends jewelery store. These are the kind of items that sell well and get attention even in this economy. The other thing thats great is that the customer has something you can't get anywhere. Nice job! Chris

Dennis Sprague

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,Mark
The bracelet really looks great,If you remember in your post of the drawing, I was wondering how you were going to tie the large leaf into the stem. Now I see by coming off of the leading edge of the stem it has created lots of depth and makes the tri leaf stand out.Also allowing you to shade the leaf without having to tie it to the shading on the stem.
Congratulations on a fine job.:thumbs up:
Dennis

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark,

I forgot to ask, will argentium react as sterling does to sulfur darkening of the background for contrast or did you use ink, paint, etc?

Rod

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for all the compliments guys!

Rod, there is no darkening agent on the bracelet. It's just using the light to make the cuts look dark. I do have some silver black but have not tried it on Argentium. I will experiment with some cut-offs and see if it will work. It would be handy to be able to darken the background chemically and then carefully polish the surface. A pre-darkened background would become more noticeable after bending the bracelet. Thanks for the idea, I'll try it before I bend it.

Mark

Mark

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was wrong. I didn't have any Sulfur, only brass and copper blackening. So I just went ahead and bent it without blackening agent. I didn't want to wait to buy Silver Black, I wanted to see the final shape and how the design worked after bending.

Mark

Attachments

• Ribbon-Braclet-completed.jpg
    Ribbon-Braclet-completed.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 53

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Mark,
Beautiful job, what thickness are you using? Is it slightly convex or flat? I'm not sure but argentium was developed for not tarnishing properties, so it may not darken well, that's why I stick to sterling silver for my work. It will be interesting as to what you find with your test.
Mark