Engraving the Lindsay Damascus Palm Control

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had been after Steve Lindsay for one of his very kewel damascus handles, which add a little heft and a lot of style to my PC.
And I thought perhaps you would like to see where I went with it.

1.After dividing the PC into quadrilateral sections I laid out the leaves by the "Inductive Layout " method with consistent lattice crossing leaf angles, and then drew in the scrolls and started cutting holes for stems and leaves.
2. Then I applied the stems, and started measuring, transfering and cutting leaves.
3. Next were added more leaves, The stems are trimmed and the leaves are burnished until flat.
4. then I etched the Damas with nitric acid
5, A,B, and C,This looks pretty good, but needs a little something. . . .
6. Into the salts, for a little blacking. . .
7. AHHH smells like my great Aunts home cooking, she was an anarchist you know.
8. Looks alright for a hammer. . .

Last edited:

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Barry,
I thought I had too much time on my hands, no pun intended but, that is signature work. Beautiful to say the least. Were all the inlays done w/30ga.? The other question is what's in the can? bluing salts I'm assuming from your post. I believe I've had concoctions foaming around my shop.
Thanks for series of pictures, wonderful work.
Mark

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rex, it is not signed, but will be when I have time to do the adjustment ring.,
Mark, as you know, we have to make do in Montana and it's saltpeter scraped off the "dirt" in the corral. . . .
Just kidding, it's Brownell hot blue salts.

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow, what a beauty.
Lee, do you mean the structure of the background is a result of etching with nitric acid?

arnaud

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have to say that's the fanciest handpiece knob in town! You're not really going to use it in your daily work, are you?

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Barry,
I almost went out to try a shovel full of Virginia cave dirt, but you just upset my venture. Ironically nitre blue is the basis for a future project........I'll keep you posted how the dirt worked. Got a good chuckle from that one.
Mark

Andrew Biggs

Hi Barry

That is very cool alright. The damasus and engraving suit each other very well............Looks great!!!

I noticed in the photos at the beginning that the inlay cavity dosn't seem to have teeth...........or are they just so small the camera is not picking them up??

Are you bringing it to Reno? It would be very nice to see it first hand.

See you there

Cheers
Andrew

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Barry,

This is a great piece of work, please bring it to Reno!

I do a lot of nitric acid staining of boxwood (buxus sempervirens) for flutes, and I use 50/50 nitric/water, then dissolve an iron nail into the mix as a mordant and to control depth of color. What nitric acid cocktail do you use on the iron, straight out the bottle?

This brings up mostly hidden wood 'flame' and shows very nicely. I later neutralize with ammonia, or better still, in 55C warm raw linseed oil.

What is the make up of damascus in steel? Is it just a folding of the steel under the hammer, and are we looking at grain variations that are highlighted by the acid etch, or what?

I am curious

Rod

kcstott

Took a great piece of work and made it better.
Nice work.
FYI I had no idea Gold would survive in bluing salts. Now I know

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Barry,
I always thought that handle was the prettiest one of the three. You have made it even prettier. (understatement of the year)!
gail.m

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow, what a beauty.
Lee, do you mean the structure of the background is a result of etching with nitric acid?

arnaud

Yes Arnaud, its actually super steel etch from cronite, which is a blend.

I have to say that's the fanciest handpiece knob in town! You're not really going to use it in your daily work, are you?

Thanks Sam, Of course I will use it , but I have the plastic and burl Palm Control grip also, so I can use them when I am feeling fuzzy.
"All things doth moths and corruption" etc

Hi Barry

That is very cool alright. The damasus and engraving suit each other very well............Looks great!!!

I noticed in the photos at the beginning that the inlay cavity dosn't seem to have teeth...........or are they just so small the camera is not picking them up??

Are you bringing it to Reno? It would be very nice to see it first hand.

See you there

Cheers
Andrew

The teeth are not installed yet, but you are a good guesser, I have quit trying to photograph my burr fields because since I began playing with the damascene technique (this is not damascene, but raised inlay) it has influenced all my tech, they are too small to get a really good pic.

Yes, I did it as a sample for my seminar, it will be there.

Barry,

This is a great piece of work, please bring it to Reno!

I do a lot of nitric acid staining of boxwood (buxus sempervirens) for flutes, and I use 50/50 nitric/water, then dissolve an iron nail into the mix as a mordant and to control depth of color. What nitric acid cocktail do you use on the iron, straight out the bottle?

This brings up mostly hidden wood 'flame' and shows very nicely. I later neutralize with ammonia, or better still, in 55C warm raw linseed oil.

What is the make up of damascus in steel? Is it just a folding of the steel under the hammer, and are we looking at grain variations that are highlighted by the acid etch, or what?

I am curious

Rod

Yes, thats correct, I am no expert, but is is basically folding steel of differing components to make damascus steel.
This is steel and nickel, I believe.

Nice knob Barry! Wouldn't survive long on my bench though, LOL!

Kcstott, gold survives most things. Aqua Regis and cyanide are 2 things I know it won't though.

Hi Marcus, thanks to you and your father for sharing so much with me, or I would have never gotten this far.

Hi Barry,
Another barn burner piece.
There is a whole lot of learning and inspiration in this post, thank you.
Best.

Thank you my friend. . . .

wild willie

I had been after Steve Lindsay for one of his very kewel damascus handles, which add a little heft and a lot of style to my PC.
And I thought perhaps you would like to see where I went with it.

1.After dividing the PC into quadrilateral sections I laid out the leaves by the "Inductive Layout " method with consistent lattice crossing leaf angles, and then drew in the scrolls and started cutting holes for stems and leaves.
2. Then I applied the stems, and started measuring, transfering and cutting leaves.
3. Next were added more leaves, The stems are trimmed and the leaves are burnished until flat.
4. then I etched the Damas with nitric acid
5, A,B, and C,This looks pretty good, but needs a little something. . . .
6. Into the salts, for a little blacking. . .
7. AHHH smells like my great Aunts home cooking, she was an anarchist you know.
8. Looks alright for a hammer. . .

beautiful work, i would be hard pressed to use it. way to nice to ware out. thanks for posting.

Latest posts

Sponsors