Christmas for my dad

clocksdr

OK, Here it goes. I've been watching from the sides for over a year now and I have to admit this is one of my favorite web sites. I visit it nearly every day just to see what you guys will come up with next. The talent displayed here leaves me awe struck. It's also very intimidating for someone like me.
So, with a bit of hesitation I'll show you my first attempt at engraving something.

Here’s a rifle I finished on Christmas Eve for my dad. It’s a contemporary Virginia rifle sporting a blued .40 cal swamped barrel with 14 Kt gold rings on the breech and muzzle. This is also my first real attempt at engraving. I engraved the breech of the barrel and tang along with the patch box ( I had a little help with the design), side plate, trigger bow, toe plate, but plate and a couple of the screws. I stained it with aquafortis and finished it with linseed oil. I plan to engrave the lock... someday, when I'm sure I won't butcher it.
It’s my third rifle, so let me know what you think. - Kevin

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
I have always felt that there are few things made by man that are more beautiful than a really well crafted flintlock rifle, and this is one well crafted flintlock. Great work!

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Kevin, Your dad must be very proud of you don't be a afraid of engaving the lock keep up the good work. J.J. Roerts

Andrew Biggs

Hi Kevin

That is a damn fine rifle that you have made and the linseed oil really brings out the curl in the maple. The engraving suits it very well.

Your father must be thrilled to bits with it. Why people swithed to cartridge guns I'll never know!! :)

Cheers
Andrew

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Kevin, nice job and well executed engraving. I see you've used some elements from the Winchester school of the Golden age of the flintlock.
Andrew, I never knew that the 'ol flinters went out of fashion .........when did that happen? Maybe I ought to get a news paper and use it for more than wrapping garbage. lol
What's the next one Kevin? Another Va. gun?
Mark

jack

Great job. I like the setting of the sapphires into the engraving. Jack

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
WOW...that is an exceptionally nice gun Kevin. Very nice engraving, carving and inlay. The patchbox is an awesome design and the stock is beautiful.

Pleasure seeing it. Thanks for posting it.

clocksdr

Hey folks, Thanks for all the compliments. Especially since I'm a novice amoungst masters. I think I've found something I really enjoy when I'm not working.

clocksdr

Jerry,
When I built the first rifle I didn't even know what a flintlock should look like. So it doesn't get out much (only when I'm hunting alone). The second was my first sale to my best friend. The carving improved but the engraving was something to be desired. (I used a graver blank and beat the brass unmercifully).

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
don't know how i missed seeing this till just now-- but dang- dude, this is just eye whoppin gorgiss ! how do i get on your xmas list ?

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Congratulations on a very fine job and I am sure your Dad was pleased with his gift. For just your 3rd rifle I'd say you are well on your way to being an outstanding rifle builder. I hope you continue building and displaying your work.

clocksdr

Roger,
I'm taking the rifle and him to a mini CLA show at Lake Cumberland in a couple of weeks. I'm sure he'll let me "borrow" it from time to time.