practicing

mike34

Hello all just a short note to let everyone know i appreciate all the good advice i have gotten from this group i have been practiceing every day on my drawing i am waiting for my Ron Smith book while I am waiting I have been looking at pieces i find on this site and tryingto copy them ( hope that is ok ?) like Andrewsaid one segment at a time i will do leaves one day and other small sections in between scrolls are the hardest for me I never imagened I could do this (i havent made a cut yet) I find the tool i use the most is the eraser on my pencil .practice, practice practice

Thanks again Mike

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Mike

When you read Ron's book you will find, he recommends, in your drawing practice, that you copy other peoples scrolls and leaf patterns, thats how you learn.

However it is frowned upon if you copy another persons complete design exactly and then claim it as your own.

If you saw Sam's thread about copying, and went to the web page he is complaining about, you will see they copied Sam's Script letter “S” exactly line for line (cut and paste) color and all.

Sam is not saying, nobody can ever draw another leaf script letter “S” again.

You can use Sam's tutorial to draw your own leaf script letter “S” (even using same style of leaf) but copying and using his design line by line color and all is a bit much.

I think it is expected that a new engraver will copy a leaf or scroll pattern so they can learn how they should be drawn.

You are going about this in the proper way, learning to draw first before starting to cut.

As soon as you are comfortable with some of your drawings, Post them and you will find, somebody (with more skill than I) will jump right in and give you all the help you need.

Ken

kcstott

It is the same with learning a musical instrument. You first learn how to play it by playing other people music that they wrote. But when you are playing for money you had better pay for the rights and get permission to use the art work. I would think the same goes in the engraving world too But I think few get their work copyrighted as every new piece would be subject to a new copyright. It would get expensive fast

Latest posts

Sponsors