1 in the Chamber....

JamesO

Colt Single Action Army. Here is another of my 1-of-a-kind Handgun Coin Carving that is almost 100% complete. It is still lacking some details in certain areas, but thought I would go ahead and show it. I'm starting to be pretty pleased with the way this came out. Genuine Pre-Ban Ivory grip, (5) 24kt. gold and fine silver inlaid bullets ( 1 in the Chamber), 24kt. inlaid C and pin which holds the grip on. OLIVENCIA is carved into the backstrap. To small for me to capture clear with my camera. All carved from a 1913 type II Buffalo Nickel. Buffalo on reverse is untouched original condition. This is the 3rd of 14 different firearms carvings I wish to complete
Please enjoy and thanks for looking
DSCN1025.jpg
DSCN1030.1.jpg

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks, wonderful to see the different stages of your process. Almost better than the final result. Very educational.
Kevin P.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
double + good in orwellian speak. what is the coin embedded in ? low temp "jigging" metal, maybe ?

JamesO

Thanks guys for the great comments - it will definitely help me keep this project going!:thumbs up::thumbs up::tiphat:

The very low temp metal is, I believe its call, CEROSAFE. Two sweeps from propane torch and it melts and I just drop the nickel in. If it starts to come loose I just heat it up again and tap on the side. This stuff is great for holding all kinds of small objects.

On the drawing board now are:
The German Luger. Not sure if I'll use Ivory for grip tho, but I have seen them in museums with ivory grips.
The Colt Detective Special .38 Revolver. Ivory grip, gold Colt medallion in grip and of course the Gold Detectives Shield.

Thanks again- Jim Olivencia

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
GREAT stuff James. The end result is EXCELLENT and the in progress pictures are very informative. I especially like the second picture in the first post.

Thanks for posting them.

JamesO

Marcus, the ivory is held down by the gold pin. I drilled a .020 hole thru the Nickel and countersunk both sides with a slightly larger drill bit. A few whacks and the grip is secure. The area on back edge of trigger guard is carved in a way to hold that edge of the grip.

Sponsors