Watch Rotor

Andrew Biggs

Here is a watch rotor I've just finished engraving for a new series of engraved watches coming out shortly. The small picture at the top left is actual size.

As usual there was some lessons to be learned................

First is that the bottom metal is as hard as granite and the top brass piece is as soft as putty, so going from one to the other was challenging not to mention a LOT of sharpening as well.

The second is to cover the small cog and bushing with tape before mounting it to be engraved. If you don't, then you spend about 2 hours picking the hot glue out of the bearings................ask me how I know this :)

It is breath holding work and a lot of fun.

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• Rotor-small-1.jpg
    Rotor-small-1.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 328
  • Rotor-small-2.jpg
    Rotor-small-2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 267

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very cool Andrew. Now that I have finally finished my long unfinished mastadon knife, I can finish up MY watch that I posted the engraved rotor of some many months ago.

but yip, they are hard in there aren;t they.

Nigel

Hi Andrew
Beautifull, neat work, Very good tool control. You certainly have a style all of your own, and that is a very good thing. I realy do like your work.
Look forward to seeing more.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Next time you can spill a little denatured alcohol or acetone on the hot glue and it will react to it momentarily and kind of harden it so that it will peel or even chip off rather than be so gooey. This is assuming that you didn't already know that, I discovered it quite by accident... See you next week.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
One of those miserable little ETA watch rotors was enough for me. I've vowed never to touch another one...at least the bottom half anyway! I think Vilts was attending the class where I engraved mine. Granite indeed...horrible stuff!

You did a great job, Andrew. Love the work. No indication of its hardness in your cuts. Congratulations :)

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Man, talk about a glutton for punishment!!!! You have got to be masochistic! I gave up on titanium knives because of the constant sharpening. Working on so tiny a rotor in impregnable material ain't my idea of " a lot of fun." Are you going to bring that puppy to Reno? I would love to see it "up close and personal".

Looking forward to seeing you again! Is the lovely Ms. Mary coming with you this time?

Mark

Andrew Biggs

Thanks for the nice comments.

I have no idea what the metal is but it is very hard. A polished C-Max did the trick in the end, both a 90 and 120. But it still took a lot of sharpening.

The trick to engraving small stuff...........just zoom in closer on the microscope and it looks 20X larger :)

Mark.....Yes, I should have it with me in Reno along with a couple of watches. And no, Mary won't be with me this year unfortunatley. She is taking her annual leave in early March when we are expecting our first grandchild.

Cheers
Andrew

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew,

Heroic, and beautifully cut! Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh, so to speak.

Magnification is a help on small jobs, but what we want is some of that stuff that Alice in Wonderland took, to become smaller, and have wrist watches appear to be huge pieces of work?

best

Rod

Andrew Biggs

Hey Rod

You can still get that stuff that Alice in Wonderland took...................the trouble is that you would now be arrested and thrown in jail with all of the other Mad Hatters.

The zoom on the microscope is a lot safer :)

Cheers
Andrew

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
BEAUTIFUL Andrew. Another great looking design. The watches you have posted have been all exquisite.

Pleasure seeing it.

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Very good Andrew - love it!
You handle this stuff masterly - go and sharp your C-Max again - i think you are ready to carve and engrave a few diamonds for me ;)
Mario

BTW To me this is art!

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Andrew,

Another great engraving. Your Maori art is always superb.

In such a small item you have only made the essential cuts. A great lesson, thank You.

Jean

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very good Andrew - love it!
You handle this stuff masterly - go and sharp your C-Max again - i think you are ready to carve and engrave a few diamonds for me ;)
Mario

BTW To me this is art!

Why are you pointing on "BTW To me this is art!" are you that sure your definition of the word "ART" is right one? or are you just joking?

arnaud

Last edited:

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Why are you pointing on "BTW To me this is art!" are you that sure your definition of the word "ART" is right one? or are you just joking?
I am not sure if i understand your questions accurately. What i know is, this isn't the right thread to give you an answer. I believe, there is a better place in your thread.
Mario

Latest posts

Sponsors