Flare cut scoop graver angles

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

I have done a lot of looking in the old threads and tips on this style and can't seem to find it. Could someone tell me the shape and angle of the scoop type graver used in the flare cut style? Or just tell me what thread it was already discussed in.

Thanks Ken

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken,

Do you mean by 'scoop cut'... the concave cut that takes out the inside of a leaf in flare cutting, after the exterior is cut with wide bright 'beauty' cuts?

If so, that is done with a simple round of say 1/8 inch diameter carbide with 45 degree front face, and a very well rounded heel that is about 20 degrees at the cutting edge. In fact, first dome the end of the round blank, and then do the 45 degree front face, and you will be pretty close to a good shape, then try cutting, and if necessary grind away more at the 45 degree face until you get the bite that you are after.

I like to overdo the rounded heel, so that there is a follow through burnish after the front edge cut, leaving a gleaming bright result.

You may make a series of these gravers with different diameters. Small ones will make very attractive 'ice cream scoops' leaving shiny, almost round or teardrop craters that can be good texturing, or the bud of a flower, as well as cutting the core of leaves and tendrils.

For shallower and wider scooping, you may continue to use a 1/8 round but do a shallower round on the bottom and hence a larger radius.

Rod

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Diane Scalese is going to do a presentation at FEGA's monday morning get-together.
She posted on this forum just a short time ago. I asked what graver she used. It was a flat 45. The cut looks like it's scooped; but it's not.
Also Roger Bleile has an article on 'Flare Cut Scroll' in issue 82 of "The Engraver" that might be helpful. He stated that he uses a 116 or 123 degree square graver with a 45 or 50 degree face and a Lindsay parallel heel.
HTH
Kevin P.

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
I took an engraving course with Diane Scalese at GRS a few years back (best time and money ever spent!). I thought the cuts were also done with a rounded graver to get that scooped effect; I almost fell of my chair when I saw it done for the first time and with a flat #45 graver! The exit of your cut, how you turn the vice and snap out of your cut is how it’s accomplished, far easier said than done. The "cap cut" is what finishes off the scoop effect so well, without that it's lack luster. That's a fine lined tracing with the graver (graver pointed to the opposite side of how you engraved your initial bright cut) going along the top side and ending at the bottom end of the cut. Basically it frames it in and the opposing angle to the first cut lends a sparkle and definition to the overall cut. Your #45 flat should have a 45 degree face (50 for steel engraving) and radiused 20 degree belly (heel)–both well polished to a mirror shine! If you ever get a chance to see Diane engrave please do, it’ll open a whole new world for what you can accomplish with the “work horseâ€￾ 45 flat.
Paul

Sponsors