Zippy? Hello?

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Zippy, I am looking at your engravings on across the top of the Cafe forum, and I want to know more about your engravings, how you do them, what kind of tools, what kind of cuts......

The dog renditions are so life-like and so dreamy at the same time. Most beautiful.

Please tell me more!

Thanks, Tom

zippy

Thanks Tom, I have intense illustration training background wich helps, I drag a knife graver the sharpest I can buy and keep my lines together as tight as possible a lot of cross hatching some dots, the most fun is the blue I have been doing that for a while but its the reverse mind set and the receivers are more consistent in color , no inking, no turning the receiver for sweet spot. your gold inlay is great. Paul (zippy).

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Very nice, Paul! Glad you're here with us. Really nice engravings! I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your work. / ~Sam

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Paul, Thanks for your intro. I appreciate your artistry, it is most wonderful.

I was curious about your technique because I have a growing interest in engraving for print making. I have been studying Durer and some of the other engravers of that period. WHile your style is different than Durer's, there is a similar sensibility of light and shadow. Marvelous work, Paul. Any chance of some close-up shots of your line work?

Thanks again,
Tom

Sponsors