Inexpensive Loupe for Bulino

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus has pointed out the advantages of a large diameter loupe when working on bulino, as it can be used at a distance from the eye, rather than in close eye contact, a position preferred by gem workers, etc.

The bulino loupe of choice is the Zeis with about a 19mm lens, usually in two parts with magnification max of x9. Its price is around $150.

x9 magnification loupes are common and most have a small diameter lens. These small lens loupes do not work well except in close eye contact.

If you are curious to try a large diameter loupe at x9 or greater, you may like the inexpensive model shown in the photo. I think it may be purchased for around the $15-$20 range at:

http://www.discountbinoculars.com/

Mine has three lenses to give choices of x3,x6,x9. with large 20.3mm lens diameter.

Clearly, these are plastic lenses at this affordable price, and Zeis is the model of choice, yet I am surprised how good this loupe is. Just the right item to better enjoy the Reno FEGA show if you cannot yet afford a Zeis.

Rod

Attachments

• loupe.jpg
    loupe.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 112

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod, there's also something else you might consider. It's called a 'Lumiloupe'. It's a Maglite with an attached 10x loupe. The body is 1/2 'in diameter and 6" in length. It was designed to examine gem stones. So you have the light and the loupe in one piece. The optics are quite good. The working distance is about 1".
Kevin P.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, Kevin,

Lots of good optics around these days!

The most important thing for bulino/lupe work is the diameter of the lupe lens, it needs to be at least x9 but must be a large diameter lens... over 19mm is good.

It is not that I am a bulino expert, but I have had the privilege of spending a week with "Creative Arts" trio who arrived with their tool kit in their shirt pocket ... Lupe, burin (hand sharpened), a tiny piece of worm polishing paper, and a wee ruby stone.

The lupe with large lens allows the engraver to quickly work on detail, and instantly look at the big picture. They like that rapid back and forth. For them the microscope is too slow. From pictures and posts by Phil C, it appears his main approach is also lupe.

Then again, Chris de C's DVD shows microscope cutting, and clearly wonderful results!

I have that DVD, and filming through the 'scope gives the viewer wonderful clarity in seeing what's going on. It would be interesting to know if Chris de C and others had any comments on "loupe or 'scope" ?

Rod

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yet another advantage of living when we do - they figured out some years back that they could cast an optically perfect lens in plastic. Those cheap little disposable cameras drove this, btw.

Nowdays you just have to have a company decide it's worthwhile to pay for the ultra-precision molds and then the lenses can be churned out by the thousands at fractions of a cent each (or dollars each for small quantities).

Sure, they'll scratch easily but at the price, who cares?

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod I realized shortly after posting that the short-coming of the 'lumiloupe is the diameter of the lens.
Steve's idea of the plastic lens seems to be the answer.
Also Phil mentioned at one point to get a plastic cased loupe to prevent damage in case one bumps into the work; a metal loupe could do damage to the work.
Kevin P.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kevin,

That is another good point, I had not thought about the possibility that an expensive lupe may have a hard metallic rim that could scratch the workpiece by accident. So then is it two thumbs up for inexpensive large diameter x9 lupes with plastic lens and plastic rim?

Rod

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
For the last couple of years I have been buying 4.00 reading glasses. If you get a chance pick up a set and try them. Also radio shack sells a loupe that is 5 10 and 15 power it is 30mm in diameter. It is less then $10.00.

sandy

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
dont these cheap optics run the risk of damaging your sight ,or causing strain?

I would be very leery of cheap glass lenses - they're often poorly ground from low-grade material but the newer cast plastic lenses are rarely bad - but if they're part of an optical system there can be problems with poor alignment.

There are definitely still inferiour lenses being sold in great quanties though so it's always best to look before you buy.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's interesting that most eyeglass lens are plastic. When I wore glasses I had to insist on glass lens for my prescription and they took longer to get.
Steve I thought of this in reference to your post and the quality of today's plastics.
Kevin P.

Latest posts

Sponsors